Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Transmissions, Transfer Cases and Rear Ends (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/)
-   -   Neutral Safety Switch wiring on 727? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/neutral-safety-switch-wiring-727-a-10096/)

Derek77PW 07-11-2011 02:33 PM

Neutral Safety Switch wiring on 727?

I have a 77 power wagon with a 727 transmission that i'm having trouble with. When i bought it, there were no wires connecting to the NSS. I am aware that the center prongue is for the NS, and the outer two are for the backup lights. From what i can see the the wire that goes to the center is grounded to the frame which displays why the truck starts. I don't know what to connect to the outer two prongues. I've tested the lights and they do work. I'm just having trouble with the wiring. Anybody out there willing to help out?

bremereric 07-11-2011 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Derek77PW (Post 71682)
I have a 77 power wagon with a 727 transmission that i'm having trouble with. When i bought it, there were no wires connecting to the NSS. I am aware that the center prongue is for the NS, and the outer two are for the backup lights. From what i can see the the wire that goes to the center is grounded to the frame which displays why the truck starts. I don't know what to connect to the outer two prongues. I've tested the lights and they do work. I'm just having trouble with the wiring. Anybody out there willing to help out?

If you don't get an answer by tonight I can help you...just so happen to have that electric service manual..

Attachment 15925

Derek77PW 07-11-2011 03:07 PM

That would be awesome. I've been messing with it for a while and can't seem to get it.

MReeves 07-11-2011 05:33 PM

The center post is the ground for the starter relay. I know the other two are for the Back-up lights... But don't use them on a race car so I don't know where they go... :D:D:D

TVLynn 07-11-2011 07:24 PM

Wiring should go from the trans plug to a 3 prong plug in the harness. Brown wire for neutral switch. white wire and black wire to the back up circuit. BK- brown wire to a 9pin bulkhead connector white or black/red wire to the fuse block #6 ?

bremereric 07-11-2011 08:00 PM

Not much help to you because my manuals are for passenger cars..I however would think that car and truck wiring harnesses are similair...look for a three plug connector the passenger side...that's where it was in my car...if yours is missing they must have really hacked the wiring harness...the outside two pins pass a fused positive twelve volts from the bulkhead connector and back through to the body wiring going to the back end..here this may help...

http://www.amazon.com/DODGE-100-800-.../dp/B0007IN9DA

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Derek77PW 07-11-2011 10:28 PM

You are definitely correct about the hacked part. I'm pretty much starting from scratch (meaning the NSS with no connector) with the wiring so there are no colors involved besides black and red. I'm going to go ahead and bypass the middle pin due to what the previous owner already did. So from what I can understand, should the wire leading to the actual lights themselves be connected to one outer pin, while another wire coming from the fuse box (power) connects to the other outer pin?

bboogieart 07-15-2011 07:36 PM

You say " the truck starts."
and " I've tested the lights and they do work."

I'm not sure what you are trying to fix.
If it werks,
why not just leave a sleeping dog lye, no?

If you need more help let me know I have a 77 van should be the same harness.
And a 76 and a 78 truck, I could get ya some pic's or ask for specifics and I can have a look see.

bremereric 07-16-2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Derek77PW (Post 71718)
You are definitely correct about the hacked part. I'm pretty much starting from scratch (meaning the NSS with no connector) with the wiring so there are no colors involved besides black and red. I'm going to go ahead and bypass the middle pin due to what the previous owner already did. So from what I can understand, should the wire leading to the actual lights themselves be connected to one outer pin, while another wire coming from the fuse box (power) connects to the other outer pin?

Yep