Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Transmissions, Transfer Cases and Rear Ends (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/)
-   -   Ringing noise from 727 at idle (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/ringing-noise-727-idle-11135/)

rfarmelo 11-27-2011 07:40 PM

Ringing noise from 727 at idle

Hi,

I'm getting a strange noise from my trans at idle in gear. It sounds like perhaps an internal servo/piston is oscillating, and making a high pitched metallic rattle/ringing sound. It's been going on for a while and can't really associate it with any changes to my setup.

I originally thought it was the metering rods in my Edlebrock carb slapping up and down due to low idle vacuum. The trans has a transgo improver kit in it and I don't recall any issues at that time it was installed. The problems seemed to have started when a rebuilt 440 was installed about a year ago. It has a mild Comp Cams grind in it and all else is stock. Converter is a stock unit. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,
Rob
'73 B'Cuda 440/727

PK1 11-28-2011 05:11 PM

Weak PCV valve will make that sound.

But I would Grab an old stethoscope from Ebay and pull the head off and connect a piece of vacuum hose. It will definitely tell you where eactly the noise is coming from cause you can source the noise withing a couple centimeters.

I just used this to find a dry seal in a rack and pinion that had me chasing my tail for a while.

rfarmelo 11-28-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by PK1 (Post 78191)
Weak PCV valve will make that sound.

But I would Grab an old stethoscope from Ebay and pull the head off and connect a piece of vacuum hose. It will definitely tell you where eactly the noise is coming from cause you can source the noise withing a couple centimeters.

I just used this to find a dry seal in a rack and pinion that had me chasing my tail for a while.

Never tried that sort of thing before. Good idea. Thanks PK!

blue 68 gts 11-28-2011 11:15 PM

It could honestly be a multitude of things...

As previously state, buy a stethoscope, very handy for diagnosing noise concerns.

Have someone sit in the car, foot on brake, e-brake on, tires chalked on both sides and in gear and probe around the engine and transmission.