Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Transmissions, Transfer Cases and Rear Ends (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/)
-   -   Slip-clunk from rear on hard left launch (https://moparforums.com/forums/f82/slip-clunk-rear-hard-left-launch-19065/)

Boompy 12-09-2015 05:56 PM

Slip-clunk from rear on hard left launch

Greetings and Merry Christmas.

So I can feel a slip-clunk from the rear when I leave an intersection TO THE LEFT.
My 1969 Chrysler Newport Custom is stock and original with just over 100,000 miles.
I think that 46 year-old gear oil probably looks like coffee jello and should be changed.
That locker needs to be in an oil bath so torque can be transferred smoothly to the inside wheel.
I asked a local lube shop about the problem and right away he claims something is loose and the whole thing should be rebuilt.
Interested in your thoughts.

Regards, Captain Chrysler

Archer 12-09-2015 07:24 PM

Boompy -

How exactly do you know it's the rear and not something else?

Archer

Boompy 12-10-2015 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Archer (Post 131410)
Boompy -

How exactly do you know it's the rear and not something else?

Archer

It feels like the slip-grab is coming from the rear end. It only happens when The Ghost is accelerating while turning to port. U-joints are new front and back.
Thanks, Captain Chrysler

Archer 12-10-2015 06:08 AM

Boompy -

The only reason I ask, is that I was getting a clunking sound from the rear on deceleration, and thought it was the sure-grip, the drive shaft, tranny, etc, etc. Finally did a full over haul on the suspension and the sound/clunking disappeared. Apparently, the leaf spring eyes had elongated, the sound that sounded like it was coming from the drive train, was just the springs slipping in their mounts.

Don't know what it is in your case, just sometimes with stuff that old, things ain't what they seem.

Archer

Boompy 12-10-2015 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Archer (Post 131412)
Boompy -

The only reason I ask, is that I was getting a clunking sound from the rear on deceleration, and thought it was the sure-grip, the drive shaft, tranny, etc, etc. Finally did a full over haul on the suspension and the sound/clunking disappeared. Apparently, the leaf spring eyes had elongated, the sound that sounded like it was coming from the drive train, was just the springs slipping in their mounts.

Don't know what it is in your case, just sometimes with stuff that old, things ain't what they seem.

Archer

Thanks for your reply Archer. I'll check the springs and post my findings. Mopar or no car!

Regards, Captain Chrysler

Boompy 03-11-2016 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Boompy (Post 131413)
I'll check the springs and post my findings.

Springs and bushings look good.
So now I'm thinking The Ghost needs a 727 tune-up. I can't imagine the little old lady who drove the car for 45 years abused the transmission. I think a new filter, fresh fluid and adjust the bands, and that slipping will go away.

It's only money, Captain Chrysler

Boompy 03-24-2016 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Boompy (Post 13238)
...The Ghost needs a 727 tune-up...and that slipping will go away.

It's only money, Captain Chrysler

So I stopped by the local transmission shop today. That slip on acceleration is the clutches. Band adjustment won't cure the problem. $800.00 if I take the transmission to them, $1200.00 if they do the entire job.
I had a long talk with my right foot, and we're going to wait till the problem gets worse.

RacerHog 03-24-2016 06:59 PM

Well.... Sounds about like what we thought.... Rite?
Or did we not talk about this a while back?
Shop around... Might just find a better deal.
:)

Archer 03-24-2016 07:09 PM

Boomy -

Last I checked a new TCI tranny was about $1500, and like Bob said, I'm sure there are better deals out there and you'll be getting a better tranny.

Archer

RacerHog 03-24-2016 07:12 PM

Take a look around....

https://www.coperacingtrans.com/prod...2b82970fe7aa85

Tell John I sent you.... :)