Voyager locked up after tranny replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voyager locked up after tranny replacement

Hi y'all,
New here and need help. Somehow I let myself get talked into helping a guy replace a transmission in a 1993 Plymouth Voyager 4 cyl automatic.
I was supposed to be strictly technical resource while he did all the work. (Right, and I have beachfront property in Arizona).
Anyway, currently the engine is sitting on a dolly in front of the van (long story why) and whenever the transmission is bolted on and it gets 1/8" away from the block, the engine locks up and you can no longer turn it from the front with a breaker bar. Back it off to 1/4" and the engine is free.
We are using the torque converter that came with the transmission. The holes in the flywheel only align one way so I am assuming the TC is mounted correctly.
What should I be looking at?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 387 Likes on 382 Posts
You should be checking to make sure the Converter is all the way into the trans. Is the TQ still mounted to the engine ?? Won't go in that way. Install the converter into the trans first if possible

Last edited by TVLynn; 03-15-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by TVLynn
You should be checking to make sure the Converter is all the way into the trans. Is the TQ still mounted to the engine ?? Won't go in that way. Install the converter into the trans first if possible
The first time, while we tried to do it while the engine was in the van, I did in fact leave the TC attached to the flywheel.
I decided that it would be best if the engine was out of the vehicle because I simply am not able to crawl around under a vehicle these days.
After the engine was removed, I took the TC off and placed it in the transmission and it went in all the way, or so I thought. I will pull the transmission out and double check that though. How would I tell if it was not all the way on? Is there a reference point somewhere that I might take measurements from? Should I be doing something different than just sliding it on and thumping it with the heel of my hand?
And thank you for replying so quickly. I'm really getting tired of looking at this van in my back yard.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 387 Likes on 382 Posts
Use a straight edge against the bell housing The bolt lugs should be recessed 1"or so. Turn the trans up on end sometimes helps The splines have to engage into the front pump, turn it and You should be able to tell when it goes in !!
The following users liked this post:
2much2mow (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 06:45 PM

Use a straight edge against the bell housing The bolt lugs should be recessed 1"or so. Turn the trans up on end sometimes helps The splines have to engage into the front pump, turn it and You should be able to tell when it goes in !!
God bless your cotton picking heart! Soon as I get groceries put away I'm running down there to try it. If this works, I will be SO in your debt. I WILL post the results tonight.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:44 PM

I turned the transmission up on end as advised but couldn't even get the TC off. Eventually it came off though. I put it back on and after a bit of turning, it slid on and I could see right away it had gone on farther than before.
Piece of cake after that.

"Thank you" seems inadequate considering the trouble you saved me but I'll say it anyway. Thank you.