Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior Electrical (https://moparforums.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   1987 Dodge b150 van having brake light troubles (https://moparforums.com/forums/f84/1987-dodge-b150-van-having-brake-light-troubles-22296/)

tmillz1293 05-07-2019 08:10 AM

1987 Dodge b150 van having brake light troubles

Hey, first off just want to say I'm new here so hopefully I don't violate any rules in this post.

So, I have a 1987 Dodge b150 conversion van WITH cruise control and the brake lights arent working. The tail lights, hazards, and blinkers all work great. My first thought was bad bulbs since those old dual filaments do that sometimes, they were good. My second thought was to replace the brake light switch(the cruise control models have 6 wires coming off the thing with two wiring clips) since they often go bad and aren't usually to complicated or expensive, so I swapped it for a new one without testing the old one. While i was testing it i checked to see if it was getting power at all, one wire was getting power though i dont remember which color. Still no brakes. I checked the fuses in the glove box and they all appear to be good at least visually. I cant find eny other fuses on the van though i figure there must be some under the hood. I am going to check the ground on the switch just to make sure its good since both brake lights are inop i figured it must be something on the brake circuit and not an issue at the lights themselves. However if its not that or if i cant find where the ground wire goes too i don't know what to do after that other than checking for a severed wire. Being cruise control makes the wiring much more complicated than a standard model and I cant find a good wiring diagram online for a 1987 with cruise control anywhere.

Any advice would be appreciated as well as any legit wiring diagrams for a 1987 with cruise. Also I have ordered a dealer service manual for it since the manual i have is too general with wiring diagrams but the manual is not going to arrive for a couple weeks.

Thanks you!

If anyone has advice

RacerHog 05-08-2019 08:11 PM

Check to make sure the power is coming out of the brake light switch with a test light?

tmillz1293 05-08-2019 08:15 PM

FIXED! I already checked the fuses visually but after having no luck with anything else decided to check them again with a multimeter. turns out there was an 8 amp fuse where there was supposed to be a 20 amp and it was popped. swapped it out and everything works great. Thank you for the reply though!

RacerHog 05-08-2019 08:23 PM

Great News... Thanks For the up Date !!