66 fury gauge cluster woes(voltage limiter)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:06 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
66 fury gauge cluster woes(voltage limiter)

Hello

i actually have a 66 monaco with fury dash and gauges(Canadian car)

The setup for this gauge cluster is that 12V is fed to the fuel guage where the voltage limiter is located(inside gauge) and both the fuel gauge and temp gauge operate from the 5V from the voltage limiter.

1. Are the voltage limiters repairable or replaceable in the fuel gauge?
2. How reliable are these voltage limiters, because this is the second fuel gauge I have replaced recently. see story below.
3. What would cause the voltage limiter to go bad? bad fuel sender?
4. What are everyone else's experiences with this gauges.

this is winded.....
When i got the car from my father last year I decided to fix the gauges. the fuel gauge was not working and the temp was intermittent. I bench tested the gauge cluster and the voltage limiter was bad,. I replaced the fuel gauge and fixed a bad connection which made the temp gauge work properly.

so all that above took a little while to troubleshoot, The fuel sender in the tank is not working properly(measure 25ohms at harness in dash). Im replacing the fuel sender this spring. The fuel sender has been buggered for a while.

So all of this was a month ago i had the gauges working and simply shut the car off and never touched anything. At the time I started the car several times and temp guage rose to normal but because of the fuel sender, the fuel guage went to full.

I start up the car yesterday and temp and fuel gauges not working. I took cluster out and bench tested them and see the voltage limiter is bad?, instead of 5V on the "A" terminal Im getting the full 12V.

I'm ready to throw in the towel on these gauges.

I happen to have 2 spare gauge clusters with gauges and bench tested both units and the fuel gauge voltage limiters are bad. One of the gauges was the first bad one i took out of the car. so now i have no spare. I hate to buy another fuel gauge if something else if causing the voltage limiter to go. Either it's a coincidence that 2 gauges went bad on me or some electrical issue. i ohmed out the temp sensor(250ohm, cold) and fuel sender(25 OHM) circuits. seem ok to me.

I do have an aftermarket gauge cluster with water temp, oil pressure. so I do have a backup temp gauge my father put in cus he had the issues with stock temp gauge.

I just might put in an aftermarket fuel gauge and just leave these alone. please see questions in red above. any advice is greatly appreciated.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails 66 fury gauge cluster woes(voltage limiter)-2015-03-25-11.35.40.jpg   66 fury gauge cluster woes(voltage limiter)-2015-03-25-11.36.46.jpg  
Old 03-29-2015, 05:41 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after doing some research i ended up ordering a VRC601 voltage regulator.

I found a 5V computer power supply to bench test the gauges and the temp gauge was fried, out of the three gauge clusters i have, i managed to find a good temp and fuel gauge. the voltage limiter in all 3 fuel gauges were bad but only 1 good gauge.

the fuel sender circuit in the car measure about 40ohms. the temp sender signal is measuring (Cold) about 400ohms but I benched tested the sender with a heat gun and it works.
I know the fuel sender is not working properly, either stuck or what not. i don't plan on hooking up the new regulator untill i replace the fuel sender.

cheers