Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior Electrical (https://moparforums.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   '82 W150 Alternator direct to Battery? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f84/82-w150-alternator-direct-battery-23452/)

Andere_Wisp 09-12-2020 03:43 AM

'82 W150 Alternator direct to Battery?

Hey guys. My truck suffered a rather nasty wiring harness short out when the in-line fuel pump my dad installed got clogged. I can start the truck, have headlights/tailights/dashlights, good spark and environmental controls(fan speed, bilevel, etc.). However, I do not have brake lights, turn signals, wipers(including the pump), and most importantly, my alternator cannot charge the battery. It's still at 100%, but the short/fault prevents it from charging the battery, which often leaves me stranded looking for a jump at 1 or 2 in the morning after work. Winter is coming up and that means I cannot be stranded as no one travels unnecessarily that late in winter.

I've heard of vehicles running alternators directly to the batteries, but am not sure if that is possible on my truck, and if so if I will need something to regulate the charge. Can someone knowledgeable on the subject enlighten me on this?

RacerHog 09-12-2020 06:55 AM

Check the fuseable link from the battery that feeds the power to inside the cab. that may solve your whole problem.Just a hunch from what you are describing...

Skwerly 09-12-2020 09:48 AM

some alts are meant to do that--you don't want to do that. :D

Andere_Wisp 09-14-2020 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by RacerHog (Post 154749)
Check the fuseable link from the battery that feeds the power to inside the cab. that may solve your whole problem.Just a hunch from what you are describing...

Thanks! That fixed everything but the alternator and brake lights. Alternator just needed a new regulator installed. Still trying to find out which wires go to my brake lights, as a twenty amp fuse keeps blowing out. Going to try replacing the switch and seeing if any wires are broken.

Andere_Wisp 09-14-2020 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Skwerly (Post 154752)
some alts are meant to do that--you don't want to do that. :D

Thanks! Good to know for future references.

RacerHog 09-15-2020 07:38 AM

Follow the lighting for the wiring harness from the brake lights forward... Sometimes you will find that the wiring got wedged between the bed cross rail and the frame of the truck.
Basically check for a pinched wire or one that has rubbed threw.... :)

Andere_Wisp 09-16-2020 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by RacerHog (Post 154767)
Follow the lighting for the wiring harness from the brake lights forward... Sometimes you will find that the wiring got wedged between the bed cross rail and the frame of the truck.
Basically check for a pinched wire or one that has rubbed threw.... :)

Thanks. I'll make sure to do so. Hopefully it is something that simple. Electrical work has been proving itself to be a bit frustrating.

Skwerly 09-16-2020 10:05 AM

yeah, especially the long-throw stuff that goes from front to back. but it sure is rewarding once ya find and fix it!