Headlamp switch issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlamp switch issue

Hello,

I am new to the forums here and wanted to tap into some of the knowledge here to help fix an issue I am running in to. I have a 71 challenger (originally a 318 car now converted to a 440 sixpack with Rallye gauges) and I am currently in the process if replacing all the guages. While replacing the guages I have decided to finally deal with the side marker/parking lights which have not worked over the last 5 years I have owned the car.

In troubleshooting the problem I have run in to an odd situation. When I disconnect the switch, I am checking power to the pink wire at headlamp switch connector on the dash and I am getting 12v at times and I will check it again a few minutes later and get 6v at other times. I am not sure what would cause that. Additionally, I can get the side marker lights to come on if I apply 12v to the double black wires leaving the switch, but I can not get the lights to turn on or even partially illuminate using the intermittent 6v to 12v from the pink wire.

I have checked the switch and I know it is good and even replaced it with another switch that is also good. I am also able to turn on the headlights with no problems. I know that the power for the side marker lights comes from the non-fused headlamp power, to the fuse box and back to the headlamp switch at the pink wire. I have checked power at the fuse box and I get 12v there. So I assume the problem is in the pink wire coming from the fuse box to the switch. Is this the sign of a short? Any advice on what to do next to troubleshoot this issue would be greatly appreciated!