Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior Electrical (https://moparforums.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   How to rebuild a 1968 Charger Headkight and Wiper switch (https://moparforums.com/forums/f84/how-rebuild-1968-charger-headkight-wiper-switch-12175/)

greg_edwards 04-16-2012 10:56 PM

How to rebuild a 1968 Charger Headkight and Wiper switch

Hi,

Just joined the forums and I've got a really ugly set of switches with very corroded contacts. I can clean the contacts with a wire brush but it makes me wonder about the inside of the switch. Does anybody know if it's possbile to rebuild these rocker swtiches?

Greg

Silverick 04-17-2012 09:10 AM

Do the switches work?
If it/they do.... clean them up and let them work...
I have heard of people that can/will rebuild these switches but, personally, I would try to find another switch first, and then take apart the worse of the two.
This way you won't be stuck! Some, I'm sure, are braver than I! lol

bremereric 04-17-2012 10:45 AM

I voted to beat them with a hammer.

greg_edwards 04-17-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Silverick (Post 84926)
Do the switches work?
If it/they do.... clean them up and let them work...
I have heard of people that can/will rebuild these switches but, personally, I would try to find another switch first, and then take apart the worse of the two.
This way you won't be stuck! Some, I'm sure, are braver than I! lol

The switches work intermittently and the chrome plating is very pitted. I like your suggestion about getting a second set of switches as backup but my wallet isn't too keen! I'd much rather buy a new switch for $100 or $125 each but I haven't found any new switches except for NOS. Are new switches available?

Silverick 04-17-2012 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by greg_edwards (Post 84943)
The switches work intermittently and the chrome plating is very pitted. I like your suggestion about getting a second set of switches as backup but my wallet isn't too keen! I'd much rather buy a new switch for $100 or $125 each but I haven't found any new switches except for NOS. Are new switches available?

For your Charger? I don't know. I have a couple of Mopar parts catalogs and I'll take a look for you, when I find them.
But, for my '68 Fury... it's not easy and I have been paying attention to people that have been parting cars and being somewhat diligent about it. I have an extra headlight switch, wiper switch, heater controls, etc.

I've made some friends across the country, too! Maybe someday we'll meet and I hope their wives can cook!! lol

My suggestion is that you do the same thing and when something may come up.... don't lag because, you're not the only one looking!!

Mr.4spd 04-17-2012 06:50 PM

Pull it apart and clean up the contacts with some 000 steel wool, then some dielectric grease. The internal linkage may be worn too, but you can tighten up the parts with epoxy for the plastic bits and solder for the metal parts. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

greg_edwards 04-17-2012 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.4spd (Post 84967)
Pull it apart and clean up the contacts with some 000 steel wool, then some dielectric grease. The internal linkage may be worn too, but you can tighten up the parts with epoxy for the plastic bits and solder for the metal parts. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Any suggestions on getting the rocker re-chromed? I could take it to a local plating shop if it was metal but they've deferred since the rocker is plastic.

Silverick 05-05-2012 10:57 PM

I found a Craigslist ad with Charger switches for sale....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/2990681873.html