Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior Electrical (https://moparforums.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Optima Barreries (https://moparforums.com/forums/f84/optima-barreries-19848/)

Archer 11-11-2016 07:25 PM

Optima Barreries

Guys -

Any thoughts on Optima batteries for a general purpose muscle car (the Charger). Every one I've spoken to said basically the same thing "Good batteries, but won't do anything a standard battery won't".

Just curious, as my current battery is on it's last legs after EIGHT YEARS of reliable service.

Thanks

Archer

Drag Pak 11-11-2016 11:02 PM

If you can find another battery that will last eight years for less than the price of an Optima, go for it. That being said, I use an Optima in my Drag Pak, one for my trailer tongue jack, and another for a Warn winch wheelchair lift system in my home. They have all been great. I have managed to buy them greatly discounted during the April trade show sales period at our local Lordco Automotive parts dealer. I found that using a Ctech charger (that has a specific "Optima" and a lead acid mode) works the best for maintaining and restoring them to full charge when drained completely.

By the way, a Ctech charger also has a desulfation mode that could very possibly bring your Leadacid battery back to life.

Archer 11-12-2016 07:08 AM

Drag -

Thanks. The old battery is being "recharged" at a local auto parts store as we speak, so I'll know if there's any life left in it soon.

Since I'm not familiar with the tech behind the Optimas, I need a battery that will hold a charge over a few months (winter) without needing a trickler. I figure if the old one could last that long, maybe just getting the same one as a replacement would be the best bet.

Archer

RacerHog 11-12-2016 07:09 AM

I have good luck with both...... I only have one bit of input for the deep cycle battery's.. If you use these battery's for daily use and only drive like 5 miles and make 15 stops and starts... You will never get a good charge back into the battery without some type of maintenance charging.

Drag Pak is 100% spot on, when he said, use the rite charger for the rite job.

FootNote: Some of those Optima battery's will come rite back to life if you 40 amp boost charge them.....

Just my 2 cents..... :)

RacerHog 11-12-2016 07:13 AM

One more thing.... If you got eight years out of your battery.... I think you done good.. Archer... :)

Archer 11-12-2016 09:49 AM

Bob -

These days, the Charger is taken out for club meets and shows with an occasional cruise by the beach (that usually means a few WOT runs...). Average run time is between 15 minutes to 1/2 hour, except for the longer "fun runs". Alt is 90 at speed and 50 at idle.

Yeah, my daily driver gets 5 years out of a battery, usually right to the month.

Basically, I'm looking for as maintenance free a battery as I can get, that still looks good in the engine bay. And it has to keep enough of a charge to last through the winter.

The old battery is a Deka.

Archer

RacerHog 11-12-2016 09:56 AM

I think I would stay with whats working for you.. Just My opinion...
Those Deka's are made over in your neck of the wood... :)

Keep us posted...

Archer 11-12-2016 01:32 PM

Bob -

I went with the Autocraft match to the Deka (believe they are made in the same place). A little higher on the specs, but most importantly, same foot print. Car and driver are happy ...

Thanks,

Archer

RacerHog 11-12-2016 01:41 PM

:thumbsup:

Drag Pak 11-12-2016 09:05 PM

Bob, I had my Optima Yellow top down to low 11 volts and my regular charger at 50 amps would only bring it back to 55% charge. At 20 amps it was trying to push 16 + volts into it.

I figured what the hell and spent the money on a Ctech digital charger. Half the price of a new battery and it brought it right back to 100%.