Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior Electrical (https://moparforums.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Turn signals don't work after replacing column harness (https://moparforums.com/forums/f84/turn-signals-dont-work-after-replacing-column-harness-16923/)

cuda341 03-11-2014 07:42 PM

Turn signals don't work after replacing column harness

Old cancel cams were broken and horn contact was worn, so I replaced the switch/wiring harness in the column with a new plugin MoPar equivilent. Now the turn signals don't work at all (dark inside and out), but the flashers do. Switch install went fine and action works fine. Didn't notice any blown fuses...any ideas?

('71 clean e-body that's pretty much restored to stock and I've owned it for 30 years)

Thanks in advance!

S.

RacerHog 03-12-2014 07:18 AM

Sounds like one of the wires in the new switch is maybe not in the rite hole in the connector? Take another look!

Carrnutt 03-12-2014 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RacerHog (Post 116903)
Sounds like one of the wires in the new switch is maybe not in the rite hole in the connector? Take another look!

My thought, exactly.

The wiring should go as follows from the back side of the connector:

Top with the U shaped guide; Orange, Black, Tan, Red, Light Green

Bottom; Dark Green (under Light Green), White (under Red), Brown (under Tan), EMPTY (under Black), EMPTY (under Orange)

As I recall on some replacements, there was a difference or 2 with the wire colors. New ones have Black with green tracer and a green wire VS the original having Dark Green and Light Green. I think there was another wire color issue as well.

I think the black with green tracer replaced the light green wire, but I'm not 100% sure.

Be sure to check your brake lights too! As these are wired through the switch as well.

Attachment 12068

cuda341 08-30-2018 01:52 PM

Solved!

I just realized I never posted a reply, but after these suggestions, I checked and indeed found the main connector at the lower steering column was not fully locked in. Pushed it tight and all was well!

A belated THANKS!

RacerHog 08-30-2018 06:32 PM

Awesome you found the issue. Funny how those pins sometimes dont push in together... Thanks for the update... :)