1966 Plymouth Valiant 200 Wagon "Ruby"

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1966 Plymouth Valiant 200 Wagon "Ruby"

Good day all I am a new comer to not only Mopar but this forum as well. I have managed to stumble upon a 1966 Plymouth valiant 200 wagon In fairly good shape for main, little to no rust, It is by far no where close to being a show car or even a driver yet! but with in 30 mins of tinkering with it it runs and drives although be it rough and under power it likes to stall out.

a few members recommended Posting a built thread so here it is, I know i can use some help considering this is the oldest car i have ever owned and im quite happy at the price tag for a running 66 valiant wagon and as far as i can tell matching numbers

so far the issue i have is it will run fine in park revs right up fine but while under a load it struggles sputters then dies, I know the transmission is alright it does shift i managed to coaks it along my road babying the throttle I am having a difficult time finding a vacuum routing diagram, I have it to where i think it should be but still want to be sure. My main goal is to get it running and driving on its own power for now.
I do plan on doing a tune up it does need one along with a few other details.

I would like to ask all of you if you know of a good site for aftermarket reproduced parts for this car considering i am missing one handle and the interior is very ratty, I can do upholstery but would prefer to get close to original as possible. I will be putting a list of things i need but it seems that all the side trim is intact and not bent which from what i hear is a very good thing
Attached Thumbnails 1966 Plymouth Valiant 200 Wagon "Ruby"-ruby-004-copy.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
What a cool and unique wagon!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Mopar Fan

thank you I will be uploading more pictures soon, the worst part is the rear of the vehicle the last owner though it would look cool with led trailer lights and a non opening rear hatch. needless to say i got my work cut out for me

so far after getting it running I replaced the spark plugs and battery cables the picture attached are the spark plugs i removed 3 had cracks one was missing a chunk of the porcelain and I am worried where the chunk went it did not come out with the plug hopefully it just fell out far way from anything important!
Attached Thumbnails 1966 Plymouth Valiant 200 Wagon "Ruby"-ruby-003.jpg   1966 Plymouth Valiant 200 Wagon "Ruby"-ruby-002.jpg   1966 Plymouth Valiant 200 Wagon "Ruby"-spark-plugs-001.jpg   1966 Plymouth Valiant 200 Wagon "Ruby"-ruby-006.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
I don't like how the PO hosed up the rear. Sorry to see that. Hopefully you will be able to fix it.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 AM
Mopar Fan

Yes lucky for me he used bondo and fiberglass over metal, im going to tackle that this spring and hit up a few swap meets and try to locate a rear bumper and other missing pieces, any help finding parts for something like this would be appreciated. aftermarket especially as in what parts from other car will fit this year ect. I have the original tail lights and the chrome ring for the outer handle. so thats good.

I am handy with a welder, that hood is all sheet metal one off modeled after the 80s circle track racers. and the front sub frame is off a 79 nova the main body is a 1982 mercury carpi
Attached Thumbnails 1966 Plymouth Valiant 200 Wagon "Ruby"-dsci0009.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by bremereric;97444[SIZE=5
]I don't like how the PO hosed up the rear.[/SIZE]

Eric, just say it like it is.... Its butt ugly!!!!! But at least it is fixable....

Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Mopar Fan

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MReeves
Eric, just say it like it is.... Its butt ugly!!!!! But at least it is fixable....

Yeah I know i went to see it 2 times first time the rear was flush with the back of the garage so i couldn't see much of it second time I almost walked away, He was a bondo king and did not weld it thankfully!! he just used some fiberglass and about 20lbs of bondo, once i chip all that off and sand it down to bare metal ill start the posses of making it work once more, I might keep the roll pan he "Built" due to the large factor of I have no clue to where i can find a rear bumper. or if any other car bumpers would fit.
I actually personally like the faded paint on the rest of the car if it was not for the back i would just clear coat it and keep the history of the car some, but I am thinking of painting it the original color which i am not sure if its the red due to some spray over on some trim is evident the hood is off something else unfortunately i found that out so that kind of stinks.

as of now im trying to track down some interior components i fear i might have to just make my own out of some aluminum Unless i can find some aftermarket company which i seem to not be able to find anything at all. not even clips for the exterior trim.

More pictures, the dash has held up very nice over the years no parts other then the original radio, the aftermarket one seems to blend it well except if you know your history tape decks where not around until the late 70s and even then not in cars very often.

Last edited by Thecollector; 02-06-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
yikes, that's... odd looking. glad you are able to fix it!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Skwerly
yikes, that's... odd looking. glad you are able to fix it!
its all right you can say its horrifying because it is, he explained on what his plans where and if he did it right and not half assed it it would have been much better. If i can help it I will fix it, I am very good with metal even as young as i am. I feel that i can get it back to working condition, I might have trouble finding the rear bumper but other then that ill be golden!

as for the running issues still working on it, I found a rather great group of slant 6 enthusiasts on another forum and are helping me out a lot.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like you got your work cut out for you on that rear. Maybe turn it into a ute.