Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   A-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   1971 Plymouth Duster 34k original miles (https://moparforums.com/forums/f9/1971-plymouth-duster-34k-original-miles-21180/)

Dolce71 03-17-2018 07:46 PM

1971 Plymouth Duster 34k original miles

Hello all, 1st post and looking for pricing recommendations.

My fathers girlfriend ( she's 70 he's 80 ) has a 71 Duster with 34k original miles that has been sitting in her S.F. garage for the past 10 years.Always garaged, mint condition,aside from (no pun intended) a lot of dust.

318cu. in.,on the column, bench seat, Tor Red with black vinyl top.

She doesn't drive and needs the money so it's time to sell it for her

Hagerty value claims $12-17k ( $17 assuming it's concurs) is this price range realistic? How desirable is this V8 and trans. I'll have the VIN on Tuesday just want to give her a idea of what she will get for it.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Archer 03-18-2018 06:51 AM

Dolce -

Welcome to the forum.

I'm terrible at pricing things, but remember that for pricing, eBay is your friend. Do searches on similar models with the SOLD option. You want to know what people have paid and not what they are asking.

The 318 is a good choice for the Duster, In factory trim it's not sexy, but it's a workhorse. Sitting for 10 years, even in a garage can be problematic. Making sure it starts/runs and doesn't leak or blow smoke would make it an easier sell.

Archer

RacerHog 03-18-2018 08:04 AM

My guess 2-4K just my 2 cents

Dolce71 03-18-2018 09:25 AM

Thx guys for the input! Definitely not a sexy car, maybe it needs to be cloned? I'm sure it will need a bit of time/$$ to get it running.

Bob is your pricing low because of the lack of sexy?

RacerHog 03-18-2018 11:48 AM

No... Just my opinion... From sitting for 20 years. It's gong to take a complete overhaul..I'm sure someone will make good use of it when they buy it.. Get the most you can.. Best of luck on the sale... Keep us posted on if I was wrong... :)

Here in one to look over. One year newer. But you can get the point. size it up with what you got and go from there.. There is a buyer for every seat... :)

https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-ca.../posting/93238

Beauboy 07-12-2018 11:52 AM

I buy it for any price! I've been looking for a decent '71 Duster with a 318 for near on 40 years!

Dolce71 07-12-2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Beauboy (Post 145007)
I buy it for any price! I've been looking for a decent '71 Duster with a 318 for near on 40 years!

Sorry guys, still working on this it's a 72 not a 71.

Iowan 07-12-2018 03:31 PM

Can you post pictures, it would help give an opinion about value.

Dolce71 07-14-2018 07:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A few pic's, garaged for 15-20 years. Main concern would be drive train, everyone in agreement it would need a rebuild?

Suspension, exhaust, brakes, hoses etc. I understand will need replacement.

Thank you.

Iowan 07-14-2018 08:01 AM

Does it run now?

Coronet 500 07-14-2018 08:04 AM

I would clean fuel system, change all fluids, thorough under car inspection and check under seating and for mice nesting or nibbling on wiring and make it drive. Brakes could be a problem and become costly but I would only do what is necessary to get the engine running and the vehicle moving.

Leave the rebuilding to the buyer anyone should know what is needed, just make it presentable and moveable. Not looking for a road test.

Dolce71 07-14-2018 08:23 AM

Thank you 500, I was thinking if she runs well after normal fluids maintenance ( compression test/ leak-down with proper numbers) I would do all necessary replacement of parts listed above and turn her into a clone, rally wheels new tires, manifold/ 4 barrel and black stripping.
I'd have labor hours, $3k purchase +$5k for upgrades including labor ( father in-law and myself) After this I'd probably want to keep her. Lol)
I don't think $15k sale would be unreasonable ( assuming paint buffs out nice)? Thoughts? Thank you

Iowan 07-14-2018 08:58 AM

It's got the colors going for it, at least it's not green on green gold, there were many of both. If it's as clean as it looks in the pictures it a great place to start project.

Coronet 500 07-14-2018 09:12 AM

Ok here are my thoughts. Before any decision I'd have the full inspection with a list of general good and bad not a full parts list. Then it's decide to keep or sell, that"s the big question. This body style has never been one I liked, my son has a Demon, but more hot roddy than a Polara, I could see myself building this car for myself as it has a desireable interior and all the parts are there and very important to me is all the chrome is there. If it has no rust I would keep it, rust free cars are the most wanted in any body style.

If I decide to sell than I would definitely not do this "clone" idea. Intake and carb change any buyer would probably do, cheap and easy and a waste of my time. Trying to pick wheels and tires the buyer may like is another easy bolt on that is a waste of my time and money, and the buyer will probably change them anyway. Any knowledgeable buyer will look at the 4 barrel and wheels and stripes and say this guy is just "putting lipstick on a pig" and trying to hide something, I seriously don't think it will substantially raise the selling price.

For top dollar body and interior with bucket seats will have to be spotless, rebuild engine and transmission, have an 8 3/4" sure grip rear axle with performance gear and mini tub and maybe spend 2 grand and put a 4 speed in it. I just described the car I would build for myself not some ass wipe with Daddy's money.

There you go one man's opinion.

Iowan 07-14-2018 09:19 AM

There only original once and if your going to sell it why make it something not and spend money doing it?

RacerHog 07-14-2018 10:57 AM

Not a bad looking car in my opinion.... :)
How far have you gotten on the project?

Dolce71 07-14-2018 02:57 PM

Nothing has been done to it,still trying to decide direction to go. It ran great 15-20 years ago, I have no idea if runs yet. I'll get back to the forum when I get it running.

If i kept it for my self, wheels, exhaust, and carburetor upgrade would be a must.

It's definitely not a pig, it's basically a barn find Duster, not a 340 Duster. It needs fat tires a bit of rumble and a bit more power

Thx guys for the input.

Coronet 500 07-15-2018 04:20 AM

I think you have a Gem there. The lipstick/pig quote a figure of speech that some lowball buyer might say. Absolutely no offence was intended.

Dolce71 07-15-2018 10:49 AM

Dan no offense taken, thank you for the input!

Beauboy 07-31-2018 10:19 AM

Personally, I would've already had it in my garage! $3k purchase price? Come to papa!

Iowan 07-31-2018 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Beauboy (Post 145376)
Personally, I would've already had it in my garage! $3k purchase price? Come to papa!

I've got to agree!!!

Casper421 08-23-2018 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dolce71 (Post 145036)
A few pic's, garaged for 15-20 years. Main concern would be drive train, everyone in agreement it would need a rebuild?

Suspension, exhaust, brakes, hoses etc. I understand will need replacement.

Thank you.

Wow, that’s a great find! Any update? Did you get it running after all those years?