68 Dart modernizing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 68 Dart modernizing?

OK so im new here, my dad has a 68 dart 2dr that has been in the works for 10 years now. He curses the old carb'd 318 he slapped in there and have been tossing around the idea of dropping a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum w/ EFI...... Simple OBD1 stuff......
STOP
dont ban me just yet ok?
Im just not a big fan of carbs.... we live a little more north than most here im sure, Nova Scotia Canada. Your idea of rust is my idea of nearly mint cars..........
Now, hes has swapped to discs front and has new 1/4's to weld on and fenders ready to install, floors have been redone and new trunk pans installed.
I want him to have something he doesnt have to adjust and clean carbs just to go for a drive now n then. Reliability is key so anyone can drive this thing without double peddaling it to keep it running........
Im not sure he'll ever get it done. I want to get him in gear with this so he can get a chance to drive it more than just around the yard.
Im hoping he will pass it on to me or my son someday.

Any tips, tech on updating the powertrain and suspension to make it a nicer ride.
Im not sure how successful i will be at convincing the old dog to do some new tricks.....
Old 01-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
magnum transplant

yeah I hear what you mean. You can put a magnum in that dart with a minimum of fuss. Look at "MOPAR ACTION's" web site". THe Plymouth Savoy project (SAVY SAVOY). In this series of articles it does just what you are talking about. A Magnum engine is transplanted into the engine bay of a "62 Plymouth Savoy. A special wiring harness was developed through Mopar Performance just for this. According to the article (and the video on the web site) no hole is required to be made in the firewall. The computer and its power supply are mounted in the engine compartment. This greatly speeds up the process of the conversion. Everything is plug and play with the exception of 5 normal wire connections. I am thinking about putting a magnum in my 80 dodge power wagon. You can even use a factory computer. So basically, dropping in the magnum engine is just a matter of bolting it in and mounting the computer and power supply(relay board) and running 5 wires (I think one wire may be optional, so that makes it 4). You can use your old tranny too. .....sweet.......
Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh, BTW. This wiring harness has an OBD 'test port' so you can hook up a scan tool OR , even the dealership can test out the vehicle. Imagine rollin onto the dealershio and doing a diagnostic check on a '68 Dart..
Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can put a new hemi into it
we have a member on here that did it and documented it
Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thx for the link!!
Any other help would be great as far as front suspension. Its upgraded to discs right now but would like to find new components to bring it to the new millenium!!

Cheers
Justin