View Poll Results: What would your suggestion be?
Original upper ball joints should be fine
0%
Replacing the upper ball joints is necessary
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

69 Dodge Dart Upper Ball Joint

Old 10-14-2018, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 69 Dodge Dart Upper Ball Joint

Hey guys, me and my pops are doing a restoration project on a 1969 Dodge Dart Custom 4-door. One of the last things we are doing is a drum to disc brake conversion on the front suspension. We have removed the old drum brakes and noticed that the rubber dust seal on the upper ball joint (which also holds in the grease) is worn and cracking on both the driver and passenger side. We have done a DIY fix to these rubber covers which should restore their seal and we are pretty much ready to install the new brake system which includes new spindles, backing plates, brake hoses, inner & outer bearings, and lower ball joints. It does not come with new upper ball joints. My question is if I should be especially concerned with replacing the upper ball joints for any reason? I realize its a 50 year old car with likely the original ball joints on it and its probably a good idea to replace any suspension part after 50 years. And they're only about $50 each and if I want to replace them, now would be the time while we're doing this brake conversion. But we've already spent a considerable amount of time and money with ordering parts and waiting for them to come in during this restoration, and my pops doesn't really want to wait the time it would take for the new upper ball joints to get to shipped to us since the originals seem to be working just fine. Since he is more of a car expert than me (and the main financier) we'll probably go ahead and finish the installation with the original upper ball joints in place. However, if anybody has knowledge or experience with these upper ball joints failing/needing to be replaced I would love to hear from you. Or if you have experience with this original part being especially durable please let me know as it would be an ease on my mind. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2018, 04:27 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
I would replace the uppers while in there. You will have the tools needed sitting right there when you do the lowers. I have always replaced ball joints as a set, replace one replace all. Of course I am not your normal type person, if a part comes off my rock crawler it ends up getting sanded and painted before going back on. Keep in mind if you leave the uppers alone and in a few hundred miles they go bad, you will be looking at a second alignment job too. Not familiar with your exact brake setup but I am thinking you need a new proportioning valve. Disk brakes require more fluid pressure. If I understand correctly the drum brakes need a residual pressure that will cause issue with disk brakes. smart guys should be up soon to chime in.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
As you probably know you need a special socket to remove the ball joints, can usually find them on Ebay