Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   72-93 Dodge Trucks (https://moparforums.com/forums/f96/)
-   -   Pulling a 318 cam with the engine still in vehicle (https://moparforums.com/forums/f96/pulling-318-cam-engine-still-vehicle-22309/)

mendonjo 05-12-2019 08:27 AM

Pulling a 318 cam with the engine still in vehicle

Hello Everyone,

I bought a non running 86 D150 that had ignition issues. The problem is the intermediate gear (that the distributor slips into) has messed up teeth, the bushing is wollowed out, and the cam worm gear is bad. My question relates to pulling the cam while the engine is still in the vehicle. I'm pretty sure the cam is long enough that it will hit the front support (the steel wall that the grill screws to, maybe its called a bulkhead??) so something has to be done. It looks like option A would be to remove the bullkhead but that will probably require removing the front fenders too; option B is to cut a section out of the bulkhead center support and weld it back in when I'm done. Anyone remove a cam while the engine was still in the vehicle?

Thanks,

Joe

Iowan 05-12-2019 09:52 AM

Sometimes you can unbolt the motor mounts and lift the motor so the cam comes out the grill location, then it's only the radiator and grill that have to be removed.

mendonjo 05-12-2019 12:07 PM

I have already removed the radiator and the air conditioning unit. The problem in the center bar in the bulkhead - or maybe its called the radiator support. I'ts only a few inches wide but right in the way

Iowan 05-12-2019 12:29 PM

Does it unbolt?

Coronet 500 05-12-2019 12:50 PM

One of my old trucks, I just cut it out like a "T" section then welded tabs to bolt in and out.

I'd be more worried about where all that chewed up metal went I'd be pulling the engine, disassembling and inspecting.

mendonjo 05-12-2019 05:35 PM

Thank Dan and roger that. I'm hoping it ended up in the oil pan I did a compression check on all cylinders before deciding to keep the engine. I bought a blind busing puller and the installer/burnisher too to replace the intermediate shaft bushing and the removal and installation was a snap.

Joe