318 problem

Old 02-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
When you say you "dropped a low mileage 318 in " that forms in my mind the idea that you took a running, low mileage engine out of something else------

So why and how did it "get turned" without the chain?

The point is, this engine may not be what it seems. It may have other problems, and may have been screwed with. Has it been re-ringed? If so, you may have binding from rings too tight--which can be caused, for example, by debri left down in the ring grooves.

Otherwise, if you "think" the engine is in good shape--and I'm not sure this is no--

the basic causes of poor cranking speed are

low/poor/ bad/ undersized battery

poor battery connections or undersized/ poor cables, or not connected to the block at the ground

poor starter,

Have you tried a good set of booster cables?

Try to find a friendly mechanic with a good battery tester. There are all kinds of fancy digital things available nowadays, but the one standard of all time is called a "carbon pile."

With a carbon pile you can do at least two things:

test the battery for cranking amperage, and

measure the starter amperage draw
Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Mopar Lover

It certainly could be the starter. Just because one is "rebuilt" or even new, (and for that matter, a battery could be new)----one or the other could still be bad

Do you have a voltmeter? What is the starting voltage durinr crank? Have you tried booster cables?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Mopar Lover

You don't have to remove the shaft.

There is only TWO reasons why Mopar oil pump shafts are put in a certain way, and why the distributor is put in a certain way, and why the wires are put in a certain way

One reason, is so that the plug wires will lay a certain way, because these were originally assembled on a line

Second, is that the average mechanic that is used to working on these can glance quickly at the engine, and right away, "see what he expects."

You CAN time a V8 like this:

Drop the pump shaft in "any old way"

Put the distributor in so the vacuum advance is "about" where you want. This is true of any V8 that I'm aware of, but NOT V6's because of the "odd fire" "even fire" situation.

With your distributor in, simply bring no1 up (TDC) ready to fire, and drop the no1 plug wire in WHEREVER THE ROTOR POINTS.

In your case, are you sure that the timing chain hasn't slipped?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Mopar Lover

Stupid me. I forgot to tell you what TO do, that is, if you want to "fix" the shaft. I'ts been a long time since I've done this, but I believe you can just turn it by using a big screwdriver in the slot in the gear. I believe that will make the gear "turn up" the helical gear on the cam. The gear and shaft simply drops in, turns down into the cam gear, and then you put the distributor in.

If you decide to "fix" the gear, you want it so that after it spirals down into place, the slot --according to the book--points to the FRONT intake bolt on the drivers side head.

Frankly, I don't know if I'd bother. What makes you think the timing is off, is the distributor vacuum advance turned way front/ rear?

Have you checked the marks on the front balancer? (Use a positive stop) Does it "kick back" on start, or backfire?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Mopar Lover

The reason I asked about kickback, is that would indicate the timing was way too far advanced. Normally when you start advancing an engine, at some point the starter wil start to "kick" or grunt as the engine tries to fire. The timing is so far advanced, it is actually trying to "kick back" the starter. This is easy to figure out--either pull out the coil wire--which stops the spark-- or move the distributor CW which will retard it. If the starter speeds up, then it is trying to kick back. If it is backfiring, it may be too retarded.

Since the gear seems to be wrong for the distributor, I would just point the advance in convienient place where you have some room for movement, on the passenger side, and so that you can get your wrench in. Then, at TDC, start no1. If, after you time it, the advance is jammed up against the firewall, or is near hitting the carb, --that is--an awkward spot, you can just rotate the wires one hole one way or the other, and retime the thing.

Once again, that's why the book tells you to put the gear and dist. in a certain way--so things "fit" convieniently.

They way you are doing this should be no problem--as long as you can move the dist. enough to time it, and keep the advance away from the carb or valve cover/ firewall, etc.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine problems

I have a 1937 plymouth coupe with a 318 thats out of a 75 dodge van and i put a mild cam in it and a four barrell carb and when i get up to highway speeds and at 2000 rpms and higher rpms the car sueges and doesnt want to keep running or when i romp on it around a corner its like nothings there then all of a sudden it takes off and goes and i have put non ethanol fuel in it mnoved the fuel lines and cleaned the car and it still does it and dont know what to else to do and would like some advise please and thank you
Old 06-19-2010, 04:36 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
start a new thread. this is old and tired, and there will be plenty of ppl to help,