64 Fury burns up resistors

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
64 Fury burns up resistors

Hi Ya'll im new to the classic mopar world. I have a 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury that i recently acquired. It is my first car i plan to restore. It has a 400 cid 727 trnas unsure at this time of the gears in it. Ever since i bought the car it has been burning up the resistors. It has the Mopar Performance electonic conversion ignition. I have went thru numerous ignition modules. It has an updated chargin system from what im told. I have replaced the alternator,voltage regulator starter relayand a few dozen resistors tryin to find the problem. I have to the wiring harness out of the car and wired it up per an original diagram i have found and fixed a lot of wrong wires and the car still burns the resistors. I have spent a lot of time and money and im gettin to the point of For Sale. just by turning the key or if the car is runnin within a few mins the resistor is burnt up. I have tried a new amp guage and still no luck. I would greatly appreciated any help,insight or ideas to what it maybe because i am plum outta ideas Thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Change out your ignition coil.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM

ok so i had an MSD Blaster2 coil on it and swapped it out for a stock coil and the resistor still seems to get hot to where u cant touch it. Any other ideas?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:52 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

its normal for the resister to get hot, same as a coil,
Old 06-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1966sportfury
its normal for the resister to get hot, same as a coil,
I agree, did the resistor actually burn up after coil replacement? Power goes from the ignition sw to resistor to coil primary to points (or hall effect coil depending on setup in distributor) then to ground.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Try one more thing here, I found a schematic on your car and the resistor also grounds through the oil pressure switch. Iffffff....your resistor still burns up try disconnecting the oil pressure switch.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Question

ok thanks. I tried anither coil and so far it hasnt completely burnt the resistor up. but while i was lettin the car sit and idle to see if the resistor will burn up it started showing that the car is discharging now. I just put a new regulator on it when i put the most recent resistor on. and i've tried a different amp guage as well. Any ideas? I tried puttin a load on it by turning on the electric fans and it still showed discharge. I started the car up the past 2 days and still shows discharge. I am gettin very puzzled with this car. any ideas?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 PM

oh and the oil pressure switch never was hooked and and when i redid the wiring i eliminated those wires for the oil pressure switch.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Did you verify the connections on the alternator. Meaning there is two connections labeled FLD or Field. These are polarity sensitive.

MOPAR CHARGING SYSTEM - 1970 AND LATER

In 1970 Mopar switched from an analog type voltage regulator to a transistorized regulator. The basic circuit, shown in Diagram #2, is completely different. Before the voltage regulator monitored the (+) ignition voltage and opened/closed the (+) field circuit as needed to maintain a steady voltage. The 1970 design, instead, monitored the (+) field voltage and open/closed the (-) ground field as needed to maintain a steady voltage. To identify the (+) field circuit and (-) field circuit terminals on the alternator, look at the back of the alternator and put the "BATT" terminal at the 12 o'clock position. The two "FLD" terminals would appear as though they were at approximately the 10 o'clock and 11 o'clock positions. The terminal at 10 o'clock would be the (-) field circuit and 11 o'clock would be the (+) field circuit.

Good Luck
Joe

Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by plain64sportfury
It has an updated chargin system from what im told.
Not much (electrically) is original on this car from they way you been tellin here. Might not be a bad idea to start from square one here and make sure your wires go to where there suppose to. You have (or it has been) converted both your ignition and charging system. As far as your discharging goes, considering your conversion, you may be normal (not saying for sure though). You say it discharges at idle? try speeding up the r's alittle (about 1K or so) see if it charges, again with a load on, fans, wipers ect. Try your old VR and see what happens.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I have went over the wiring as per the original diagram for the car, the wiring for the mopar performance electronic conversion and for the updated charging system. I have went over every wire several times and had a few friends double check the wiring and we cant find anything thats not going where its supposed to go. Is their a difference in resistors? i ask b/c i was lookin at the paperwork for the MSD coil i bought and read where it requires a specific 0.8 ohm resistor made for that coil. i have one ordered. Another question upon reviewing the wiring I noticed that the condenser is not hooked up on the coil. I may be wrong but from what I've read it sounds like it may. Could the condenser not being hooked up possibily have anything to do with it? Once again thank you for the continuing help and ideas. In the meantime I'l try the old VR to see if their is any difference.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Yea, I'm pretty sure the resistor has to match the control module and/or coil. as far as the condensor goes if you have electronic ignition the only purpose the condensor would serve is for radio supression I assume that because the condensor is even there all that was done was component replacement and the old distrubitor was used.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 AM

I am unsure whether the old distributor was used or not the conversion was on the car when I bought. I have a resistor ordered to match the MSD coil so I'l wait til that comes in and try it to see what happens. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Well i got the correct resistor for the MSD coil and within 15 mins just like every other one it burnt the resistor up. And the discharging is still a problem. I hate to say it but I am at my witts end with this car. I can get anything straightened out on it. Im afraid by the end of the week I will be cuttin my losses and putting the car up for sale. Thanks for all the help that you's have given me i just wish that i could get her running. Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by plain64sportfury
Im afraid by the end of the week I will be cuttin my losses and putting the car up for sale.
Unfortunantly its really hard to trouble shoot from this end but if it comes down to you wanting to sell let me know I may be interested