69' Satellite price check?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
69' Satellite price check?

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about buying a 69' Satellite i haven't gone to look at it yet but from the pictures it looks pretty good. The interior was just redone (black leather) didn't mention any rust or body problems. It's plum crazy purple. It's got a 318 mildly built (cam, heads, etc) 85k miles. Just wondering what you guys think this should cost? I'd like to throw ether a 340 six pack, 383 or 440 six pack and probably clone it. But i just want to get an idea. The guy is asking $8500.

Thank you!
~Nick

Last edited by skatefast91; 04-29-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Mopar Fan

Old 04-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Mopar Lover

Wow, it looks pretty good, and if it is Plum Crazy, it can't be all bad! I don't know what others would say, but if it is rust free and runs well, I would say it is worth it. Of course you would try and get him to come down some, which he probably expects.

As for the clone....talk to me some time. I have more in to my clone than a real 67 GTX would have cost. I mean it is nice and all, but it was a money pit.....
Old 04-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Mopar Fan

Exactly my thoughts My biggest fear is rust and interior work but this doesn't look to need ether of those.
Yeah but I've seen a few clone cars i'd pick over the real thing lol. Is there any places other then the usual to look at for rust or problems?
btw if you were me what would you offer?

Last edited by skatefast91; 04-30-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
You will want to get a good look at the truck floor and underside. If there is any rust, it will be there. It looks to be in good shape from the three pics that you posted, just not sure if it's $8500 good. Maybe more like $6000..... It all depends on what is done to it with what parts and how far he went into it.

It sounds like a bit much if you want to throw in a BB and clone it. If you pay that much, or close to it, I would just look around for a 340, build it how you want and throw on a small dual quad setup as a six pack can be hard to tune properly.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Mopar Fan

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, if you get it for 7k you should be very pleased! Be sure to take a bondo tester or a magnet, would hate to find out it's all putty eh? Never take their word for it either.

Some people work hard to cover up problem areas... POR is great unless it's just filled, sanded and painted to hide a major defect on the under body. (JMO)
Old 04-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks 78D200,
I'm not 100% with the engine swap at less not for now. I'm just thinking about the future.
Thanks 68lover,
It would be nice to get it for 7k we'll have to see lol. I'm not sure if it helps but i'm in New Jersey and i think prices are alittle higher here...
Old 04-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Admin

Location has a lot to do with price. I would start low, worse he can say is no. If he says no then increase it a couple hundred or ask him what is the lowest he would be able to let it go for (I get that a lot).
Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Mopar Fan

I usually start 20% below their asking, and see how they react. Some people get pretty offended. I once stood in silence for about 5 minutes before raising it and saying "let me know where we're at I don't want to screw anyone".
Old 05-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Mopar Fan

Hey guys,
My dad called the guy earlier and he said it sounds like a good car.
The car has never seen rust, the guy bought it 4 years ago in TN and that year he redid the brakes and stuff, the next year he completely redid the interior. The paint is 30years old and is as close to flawless as it can be. the 318 was rebuild and has 360heads, headers and a mild cam. The car runs strong he drives it daily, The guy said he needs to sell it asap he lost his job or something and really needs the money.

EDIT: I did forget there were a few things missing, The glove box cover and the a/c the heater works but the switch broke so he made a new one. I'll have to check prices on some of that stuff. Would it be better to get after market stuff or go hunting in a junk yard?

Last edited by skatefast91; 05-01-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Mopar Lover

As for what to offer, it is really up to you as you will be in the presence of the seller and will have a feel for what might set him off and kill the deal. 7k seems like a good place to start. Some parts you don't have a choice on, you can only find them in a wrecking yard. These days it seems that the difference between new (or repop) and a wrecking year is less and less. Just do a little shopping, and again, it is up to you and what your future plans are. Good luck, let us know if the deal works out!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks,
Yeah i just googled the stuff that was missing and i'll probably end up ordering online. i'm just trying to get a rough idea of where to start. My dad is supposed to stop by on his way home from Ohio tomorrow and take a look, take some pictures and see what he's willing to let it go for. Hopefully i can get it for around 7k that way i have alittle money left over for anything
Old 05-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Mopar Fan

Hey guys my dad just got home and showed me the pictures and everything the guy even gave him a bunch of the original pictures and pictures of the build sheet.
The car sounds like a great car. the only flaws in the car were behind the rear wheels both sides had a few bubbles. The guy is a mechanic and rebuilt the car the right way and used only the best parts. The guy he bought it off of 4-5years ago had it sitting in his garage for 30years after his wife died. The guy said he is hurting for money but is kind of firm on the price. So i doubt 7k would happen but who knows... I'm having one problem the vin isn't adding up... It's RH23 F9G but R wasn't on the list for 69' online but the 9 is for 69'... Is that just how they came? I'm assuming the site is wrong that i got the vin codes off of
Old 05-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Admin

Post the VIN on here and someone here will decode if for you.

As for the bubbling, you will want to know if it is just the paint didn't adhear properly (lack of prep work in that area) or if it is the metal itself. From there, you ahouls be able to figure out a good starting price to throw at him.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:37 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I would start off at 6000.00 and work your way up, if you're willing to pay 7,000 that's a good "meet in the middle price". He's shown his cards, he "needs" the money, you don't necessarily "need" his car! Don't fold because he says he's firm, can't get your deal, just walk, I bet he's calling within days. Just my 2 cents, Howard

Also, it's my experience that a 318 with 360 heads is a bad game plan, compression is going to go down. If you're planning a nitrous package or turbo, then not a bad idea, but for everyday driving you will have a pig.

Last edited by Oldsmobileman; 05-03-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Mopar Fan

The asking price for my car was 13k, I let him know that I was really interested for a couple of months, no-one else bit, so i got the car for 7k. Play this phsycological game. Prove to him that your really interested, and dont be afraid to turn away. This leaves him knowing that he will either get a solid 7k from you, or he will have to keep and try to sell the car to someone else. Also remember that asking prices start high so that when you get the "deal", the seller is really getting what he hoped for it.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Oldsmobileman
I would start off at 6000.00 and work your way up, if you're willing to pay 7,000 that's a good "meet in the middle price". He's shown his cards, he "needs" the money, you don't necessarily "need" his car! Don't fold because he says he's firm, can't get your deal, just walk, I bet he's calling within days. Just my 2 cents, Howard

Also, it's my experience that a 318 with 360 heads is a bad game plan, compression is going to go down. If you're planning a nitrous package or turbo, then not a bad idea, but for everyday driving you will have a pig.
Compression will be only low if the heads have not been milled. If they have (ask), that is the equivilant of putting 360 valves in 318 heads, and thats exactly how you make power from a 318. The bad about using 360 heads, even if milled, is that the ports are larger than on the 318 heads, and you may lose manifold vacume. But this all depends on how the car is tuned, the cam and valvetrain design and where you want power. Test drive the car. If its responsive, you have a good combo for now, if not, consider that when buying the car, because money might need to be spent there.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks,
Yeah he said he needed money but after my dad got there he wasn't "hurting" He had a 300k rv and tons of racing motors in his garage... and when my dad asked he said he was pretty firm. But i think we're going to go back with me so i can drive it and stuff and lay down some offers...
Old 05-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Mopar Fan

Cash talks. Loudly.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Mopar Fan

I've formed the opinion that many people just say they're hurting for , when they really mean they're tired of dealing with the car. When I bought my first 68 the owner said he needed for home repairs and rent or something, when I picked it up, he was on his way to buy another car lol.

He's right, talks, show up with 6500 and who knows what'd happen.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Mopar Fan

nice,
Yeah i've never been in this situation since this hopefully will be my first purchase, But doesn't 6500 seem like a lowball offer? I was thinking of calling him or emailing him and seeing what his bottom line price was like someone said to do above. Then take like 75-80 hundred dollar bills with me and see what he thinks. I am trying to figure out if the guy will see me and realise i have plans and will love the car but who knows...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Mopar Fan

It's just a lot harder to say no when you show up and flash . It's very easy to dismiss a phone call, and even easier, an email.

Take asking price, but just flash 6500 - 7000.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Mopar Fan

Makes sense, hopefully I'll get to look at it this weekend and maybe bring it home, Need to figure out other stuff like insurance...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Mopar Fan

You will be happy to know that it's usually pretty cheap to insure these toys. I think I pay about $220 per year for $28,000 in coverage. (Stated value insurance). You may have a mileage limit, I think mine is 2k miles or something easy to be under.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Mopar Lover

I pay $365 a year for a stated value of 35k and I get 6k miles a year and it does not have to be to and from a frickin parade!

I agree, show up with and say that is all you have. Dozens of C-notes tends to set off the saliva gland.......
Old 05-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks, Idk this will be my nice day driver so i'm not sure about being restricted on miles although i could always turn the numbers back :P Anyways i called the guy today to set up another day and he said the price is firm. He was going to try and sell it for 10,500 but figured instead of dealing with offers he would just go down to his bottom line. I know it was on the phone but he said no to 8k. Should i still try and offer less in ? Idk if it matters but i though of knit picking like that it will need the vinyl roof and repainted to look original but idk... Also like i mentioned there was alittle bubbling in the paint behind the rear wheels, Is that something i could repair without having to repaint the whole car?

Last edited by skatefast91; 05-04-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Mopar Fan

Hmm i was just surfing craigslist and found a 67' charger for $600 with a matching 383/727 i'd hate to tear it up but would the parts in it work on the satellite? like the motor mounts and whatever else to make the Satellite big block friendly? Just wondering...
Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Mopar Fan

Couldn't hurt to go look, I passed on a set of fenders once and was kicking myself for months.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Mopar Fan

That's what i was thinking,
Might be able to recoup my money back after i'm done too..
Anyways,
I'm getting ready to go look at the Satellite tomorrow! The guy is still pretty firm but i'm still thinking i'll buy it. He said he'll throw in other set of tires and parts. We'll see gotta head to the bank first and get the money out. (Going to miss it 2+ years of saving) but the car will be a hell of alot better Wish me luck! Maybe he'll be in a "giving" mood. If all goes well my next post will contain pictures of my new ride!
~Nick
Old 05-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Mopar Fan

Hey guys,
I bought it! I could only get the guy down 100 bucks but hey... Anyways went to a car show this morning and when i said i wasn't showing the car just here to look, he said "I can't do that, i'm making you park over there beside that Judge." sweet! btw besides my car there was only 1 or two other mopars out of 70+ classic cars
Anyways, this car is awesome haha. Ran around all day today and had so many people pull up beside me taking pictures, thumbs up, yelling sweet ride, etc. Put about 70miles on it since getting it home yesterday runs great. Very responsive. Glad my dad was helping me this morning when i was washing and waxing it i opened the hood to spray it when he told me you better cover that stuff up or your not going to be able to start it up for awhile. It cleans up very nice, It's an easy 5ft car. A few spots where the paint is faded and flaked, went over it with a magnet and only found 2 spots where it wouldn't stick. (a 2"x2" spot on the passenger side door and a similar spot behind the rear wheel.) Body is almost lazer straight only problems are both doors, but i think it's because they each have a shim on the top and bottom. I think it will line up better with out them. I was planning on striping the paint and fixing any flaws under the paint last, But the more and more i look at everything that's pretty much the only thing besides the chrome on the bumpers and trim.
Btw, What all is there to cloning this to look like a RoadRunner? Just the body decals basically? Not going all out clone but for now trying to make it look like one to the average person who doesn't know all the details and whatnot...

Oh ya anyone know the size of the gas tank these came with? I was thinking they're around 20gal?

Quick Reply: 69' Satellite price check?