70 superbee questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
70 superbee questions

found a 70 superbee for sale, pics show that the body looks pretty good, rust in some spots, looked like most would be workable, trunk looked pretty rusty, probably floor pan to, and the interior is awful and not matching. 383, auto. a few questions i had is whether they had a floor shift auto in them. the rear panel didnt have red on it like i have read that they should. another question i had is how much would an alright project like this be worth, i was thinking about 4 if the floor and frame are rusted to, but his reserve is like 10k. i'll post the ebay link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 11-09-2011, 03:01 PM

If you like yellow

I like the car because it's yellow. The floor shifter is not correct but they did shift on the floor. If you can handle the rust yourself and don't mind a total redo on the interior then the car is worth the price. If you were to pay someone to fix everything then I would think twice about it !!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Just about all models of Mopars had some option that offered a floor shift auto. That particular car, if you look at the pictures, has a column shift, as you can clearly see the indicator on top of the column

If you have to pay someone to work over a resto, you'd better have a lot of money.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Mopar Fan

oh now guys, of course i'd do the resto myself. thats half the fun of owning the car, and plus you got more pride with it. how you guys think 4 sounds for it. i don't wanna lowball the guy, but that is really all i think it's worth
Old 11-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, the bid is up to 7k, so I guess that point is moot! You ain't gettin it for 4k!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Hopefully, whoever buys this car has a good upholstery guy that will be able to match the back seat! I'd hate to lose that orange.... Just sayin'
Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Even at seven grand a 700 plane ticket is well worth the price. I bought 3 cars in the last five years and I visited each one. You can't see all of the problems in the pictures. Bring a magnet to check for bondo.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverick
Hopefully, whoever buys this car has a good upholstery guy that will be able to match the back seat! I'd hate to lose that orange.... Just sayin'
I hear paper-mâché is in style now...
Old 11-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Heck, if you're really serious about the car, I'm only about 40miles or so from it, and I can go check it out for you
Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Mopar Fan

BuckNeccid, i thank you for your kindness, but im only about 15 miles from it lol, i can't believe such a car is so close to me. the only other mopar i have ever seen in my life was a 71 duster twister that i would also like heheh >:-D. but yea, i'll take a magnet and check the underside for rust, i doubt i'll get my paws on it for 4, but that is probably all i could ever fork up for it, i'll have to be borrowing the money ontop of that hahah. so you guys think 4 is a fair enough offer?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Mopar Fan

it looks legit to everyone right? everything seems to look right so far, i'll go check it out sometime if they don't sell it before i have a chance, i just cant stop thinking and talking about that car lol
Old 11-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You seem awful anxious, may I ask how old you are?
Only way to tell if it's legit is to look at it in person, and know just what a 70 Super Bee should and should not have. Is it the origanal 383 or a later 400? Vin number, build sheet, Options. Does it have the Ralley dash, Power bulge hood, Some of this stuff is Super Bee specific.
It looks just fine but you can't buy a car by looking at a few pictures. No matter what you find or where it is, you just have to look it over and know what your looking for. Sounds like you know what to look into, but buy with your head and not your heart. Do you have the skills to replace frame rails. You said you wanted to fix it yourself. Ever do any of this befor? Not trying to be a jerk. These are just the questions I ask myself befor I buy anything? Keep in mind these cars are getting into the 10's of thousands for a good finished Super Bee.
If you could get it for 4 grand, it would be worth it, but it has already been bid to almost twice that much. Just me but I would never borrow money for a toy. 4 grand is easier to save than to pay off. It will not be 4 grand by the time you have paid it off, not to mention you are going to borrow money for a car that needs work, gonna borrow that money too? Start saving. You can earn interest instead of paying it out. I don't understand why folks don't concider saving up for things anymore. Must be this instant gratification I keep hearing about.
Sorry if this sounds crazy but you did ask for opinions, no?

Last edited by bboogieart; 11-11-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Mopar Fan

haha, well, im 18, but im not an airhead with cars. i have never done any work like that, but im sure if i tried it, i could do it. and i wasnt meaning buying it with money borrowed from a loan, i meant borrowing from my dad and sister if they'd help me. i have a little saved, but couldnt afford it by myself, i don't like owing money, like you said, i like saving my dough for toys, but i just can't find a job to allow me to save any. im gonna see about checkin it out this weekend with one of my buds. i'll get back at you guys then
Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM

The bid's over 7 and it hasn't met his reserve yet - no telling what he thinks it's worth. Why don't people just say what the reserve is? Wouldn't that make things easier?

You won't know until you take a look at it, and it depends on what you want to do with it. If you are just looking to put it on the road and drive it, you can work on it gradually. If you want to try to restore it back to original, even doing the work yourself, it is going to be expensive and time consuming. Even doing the work yourself, the parts are not cheap. You can easily plan another 5 to 10 grand on it.

I have to say, though, it is great to see someone your age with an interest in keeping the old ones going! Good luck.
Michael
Old 11-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
In today's market He will probably get his 10K maybe more.. YOU should not be buying this car if money is tight. As you should figure another 10K or more for repairs / Resto
depending on how much of the work you can do yourself.. $40K if you start paying someone to do the work.. Just the rust repair and paint could cost $10K
If you look close it had a column mounted shifter, the floor shifter is aftermarket..

Last edited by TVLynn; 11-21-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but he didn't provide pictures of the floors, the rest of the trunk, or the frame rails. You can see the rust in the one corner of the trunk and on the bottom of the doors. I think he was hiding some rusty frame rails, or at least some major rust issues. I know he mentioned there was rust but I think it was probably a lot more than what you would think.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Mopar Fan

hey guys, checkin back in, i got ahold of the guy and im gonna go check it out maybe this weekend or later. it seems as this is a quite solid car, but of course as everyone says, i don't know until i look at it. the mirrors on doors are ripped off, and on the driver looks like its green paint, then around the door jam, green, then in the trunk, a little bit of green, so idk if it is either bondo or green paint, dudnt look like a mopar impact green, so i think it's just bondo. but trunk rusted out pretty well, looks kinda like the floor COULD be rusty, but i won't know until i go look at it. bidding ended last week on it, and im gonna negotiate after i let him know that im a serious buyer, and would greatly care for this baby. also, my plans for it include killing all the cancer on it, stripping everything outta the interior, trying to put it back to a column shift, cleaning everything up and trying to keep the original paint and stickers. but mostly just clean it up for now, and fix it as i go, i mean, it looks really solid as it is. after i get enough buenos up, dumpin the column for a four speed.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Mopar Fan

hokay boys, goin to check out this bee tomorrow. got my magnet checkin for bondo, got my iphone for snappin pics, and got my nice kid charm to work on a negotiation later. hope i can get my paws on this. gonna try and get the guy to hold onto it until i can work up enough money that he'd accept for it
Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I'd check this one over good. It looks to have had a rough life !
Old 11-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Mopar Fan

most of the floor is pretty solid, the tunnel is perfect in the cab, but to the sides of the floor are a little rusty. rusted out behind passenger side, and the trunk is gone. has a gas tank ontop instead of the original one, the original one is still there. couldnt hardly get it started, wouldn't idle, the carb really really needed adjusted, and the guy hasn't driven it hardly at all, other then moving it in and around his yard. originally green looked like, really really shitty paint over every part of the body, said he would prolly be askin about 9500 for it, but i don't think it's worth that, just gotta get a job and make a bit of money up so i can back up an offer. couldnt look under the body at the frame, but i'll check back in with the guy. i really really want this car, so please noone on here buy it out from under me
Old 11-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Mopar Fan

anyone know where i could get an idea of what it would be worth. it is pretty solid but definately needs to be sand blasted and repainted. i was thinking 5-6 would be a really good offer for it

oh yea, and it looks like the deck lid had factory wing on it, but the guy said it's loooong gone, hasn't seen it with it. the sad thing is this car has been setting forever. I hope he'll see that im a kid that will really really appreciate and restore this car for fun instead of buying it to make a good profit off of.

Last edited by destroyerbear; 11-26-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by destroyerbear
I hope he'll see that im a kid that will really really appreciate and restore this car for fun instead of buying it to make a good profit off of.
Why do you think he bought it.....

He's looking for some kid with big dreams and a fist full of to take it off his hands. I don't want to rain on your parade, but if he set his bottom line @ 10.5 he is not going to take 6 for a very long time. Someone down the line told him it's worth at least 10.5 and he's gonna hold on to it until he gets it. For that kind of $$ I would look for something in better shape (and they are out there).
Old 12-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Mopar Fan

UPDATE: going to contact the guy this week to see if it'd be alright for me and my buddy to go and rip out all the carpet and headliner, he said he needed to go ahead and get it all out. i wanna see under the car to, so i'll take a jack. also im gonna see if i can get it idling and running smooth, and if so, see if he'll let me spin it around with him to see how the trans runs. the heater hoses are bypassed lol, thats one thing i remembered about the engine. this guy said he is a ford guy, and he only bought it because he said he'd prolly never see another one, dangit, i need a job!!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Quit thinking with your heart and listen to everyone here. The guy is jacking you around and now you are gonna go work on it for him so he can get more money from you. Listen to what these guys have to say. You are gonna get burned because the seller already knows you are thinking with your heart not your brain. Not trying to be rude , but trying to help you out. There will be another...just wait it out. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 70redbee
Quit thinking with your heart and listen to everyone here. The guy is jacking you around and now you are gonna go work on it for him so he can get more money from you. Listen to what these guys have to say. You are gonna get burned because the seller already knows you are thinking with your heart not your brain. Not trying to be rude , but trying to help you out. There will be another...just wait it out. Good luck.
Exactly what he said. Just look under the car and that should be enough to determine if the floors are solid. Bring a screw driver and tap on the bottom of the floors. Don't go there and rip out the carpet and headliner for him.

Like I said before, look at that rusted out trunk pan, or at least the corner he shows. I bet the floors are close to the same and the frame rails under the back half of the car probably have some issues. See if you can poke through the rails with a screw driver

Last edited by Dieselholic92; 12-07-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Mopar Fan

lol i always forget that when posting threads that people cant see things vicariously. i don't think this guy is gonna rip me, but even if he would, i wouldnt let him lol. i havent been thinking with my heart either, i have just been so eager because i just like to see the car, i would love to own it, but if i can't, then i won't. the carpet is already ripped up, just needs to be cut from around the seats and floor shifter. headliner is half way out, looked like surface rust on the roof on the inside. but anyway, hopefully i can do it next weekend, ive got some finals friday, monday, and tuesday, gosh i hate college. hopefully i can make that puppy mine, i'd sure love it
Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I hate it when someone asks for advise and then makes all kinds of excuses not to listen. You have your mind made up to do what you are doing. Good luck on the purchase and I hope you will not be burned. I have a 70 superbee, my 2nd one and they are fun cars to own, but restoring one is a long process and very expensive. Remember they are a one year only car and parts are hard to find and expensive to boot. Just trying to help you make the right decision. If you get it and it is a good purchase, you will love the car. Again good luck.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X2! You are trying to justify purchasing it! Step back, take a breath! It is NOT the last Mopar in the WORLD!
But then again, could anyone have told any of us anything when we were 18?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:43 AM

Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 PM

Well?

'Beating a Dead Horse" I love how this thread ended, but how did it really end? The 'B' is still for sale and still not worth more than $4k?

Quick Reply: 70 superbee questions