Has anyone else made COUNTLESS mistakes on their first Mopar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone else made COUNTLESS mistakes on their first Mopar?

Other than the mistake I made buying a mis advertised RR on Ebay, I just keep digging deeper I wanted a 69, but could only find the 68 I bought. Changing to a 69 is not as easy as i thought, lets just say that quarter skins are not enough, you need to change the whole quarter panel...anyway, the quarter skins can be used and the circle marker light grafed in. Wow, I am still mad, embarassed, and just pissed that I stuck with a FUGLY 69. I am out of money, I am skimping by to get it done, then I am wrapping it around the first tree I find. Well, at least I now know for my next Mopar that I need to educate myself alot more, and I have already learned alot of valueable lessons.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't be too upset. I've never owned a roadrunner or even any other of the "performance" mopars. I always got the plain jane model and made it perform like the performance model. Believe it or not, the only actual "muscle car" that I ever owned was a '67 GTO. [a looong time ago]. I had a 66 charger but it came with the polysphere motor, so it boils down to the perspective you have. I would love to have a roadrunner of any year.
Dont change the car, just change the way you look at it.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't give up on it. If it still has the 68 quarters on it fix it up as a 68 sell the 69 body parts.We all make mistakes and I don't mind saying I still make them. Good luck with your car and post up some pictures.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No! I never made a mistake on my mopar!!! I made them all on my chebys before i saw the light! With the net I ask a ton of questions and make sure I've got it right before I do anything. My favorite, "I've cut it TWICE, and its STILL too short!!" HaHa!
Old 11-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Make sure you get the one you want!

I am offering some great advice that was offered to me by a trusted Mopar friend. If you are looking restore, restify or modify then by all means hold out and buy the car you really want. You will be spending a considerable amount of time, money and effort and always wish you really had something else. If you really want a 69 roadrunner but settle for 68 you will never be satisfied. Trust me on this one! I absolutely agree with -old tired rebel-, fix it up as a 68 then sell and get that 69. Best of luck to you!!!

Last edited by ykf7b0; 11-27-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ykf7b0
I am offering some great advice that was offered to me by a trusted Mopar friend. If you are looking restore, restify or modify then by all means hold out and buy the car you really want. You will be spending a considerable amount of time, money and effort and always wish you really had something else. If you really want a 69 roadrunner but settle for 68 you will never be satisfied. Trust me on this one! I absolutely agree with -old tired rebel-, fix it up as a 68 then sell and get that 69. Best of luck to you!!!
I agree with ykf7bo on this. I know its hard to find the exact year car and afford it after you do find it.

If you buying 69 parts to turn a 68 into a 69 then when and if you ever go to resell the car you will never get what you have in it out of it.

I made a few mistakes on some cars the most being on a 66 mustange but that was a high school driver (never saw the road again) that I sold to buy something else.

I bought quarter panes for a 70 Torino Cobra one side to long other side to short, had no choice in the matter as no one made them.

Good luck with your car and best bet is to fix it as a 68 then sell it to get the 69.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
WANTED A 67 BARRACUDA WITH A BIG BLOCK, BUT I BOUGHT A 62 PLYMOUTH FURY AND DON"T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE TAKEN IT APART AND REBUILT IT
Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 PM

I haven't made too many mistakes but other people have on my mopar. my brand new cam shaft was warped out of the box and i sent my crank to get machined. but they forgot to do the rear main journal, and then when i sent it back for them to fix it the shipping company sent it 600 miles away by mistake and then lost it.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:24 PM

I used to work at a tire shop and when i got the rims for my satellite, American Racing sent three good rims and one with the wrong bolt pattern, then we told them and they sent us another rim, again with the wrong bolt pattern, so we called again with a little less patience, so they sent a third and it was finally the right one. then they wanted us to pay the $300 shipping costs to send their wrong rims back. so we told them where to shove it and we're selling the rims ourselves. i had bad luck with that car. totally worth it tho
Old 11-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think my biggest mistakes were selling off my old mopars because I didn't have the room to keep them! LOL
Old 12-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Mopar Lover

I have made lots and lots of mistakes on my first Mopar project, so don't feel all alone. I almost gave up once or twice, but me and the car had a "come to Jesus" talk and I told the car that I was going to finish it one way or the other, and if I died before it was done, I would put it in my will that someone else would finish it, so the car finally gave up and quit fighting me. Now, 4 years after I started, my car is almost done. Paint, all the moulding/trim installation and the interior is done. The engine and trans is done and I will be installing those in the next few weeks with the help of a Corvette buddy of mine. The first mistake was making a GTX clone from a Belvedere II. For what I have spent, I could have bought a nice real GTX. I bought wrong parts, I lost parts (it happens when you let the project go 4 years), I had to go through two paint jobs, I trusted some people I shouldn't have, I was too nice to some people when I shouldn't have been. About the only thing I did right was join this forum! The bottom line is that I learned ALOT and my car kicks ***! I can't wait to post pics of it finished!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Mopar Lover

ahhhhhhhhhh, what mistakes havent I made!!!, I think the biggest 1 was a repeat offense, several times over, I would buy 1 start a redo, then find another 1 buy it then do them both for awhile then burn out, sell them both and start over only to get another 1 and do it again, the money I spent going nowhere fast.and ohh the deals othr people got buying them. that came to a screeching halt a few years ago. I sold al the projects and bought 1 that i wanted turn key, lol, then tore into it making it my own, however, i still have it its the way i want it and it didnt cost me as much. now i can focus on my young guns coronet, and do the same thing to it for him, now hell have a great car, and wont make the same costly mistakes i did.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 AM

biggest mistake for me was joining the military...not that the military is all bad or anything...but at the time i had a 67 fastback barracuda and as soon as i went into the military, my mom sold the car cause it was "taking up space" ugh