HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some more info would help, engine size, year, type of ignition and alt?

There are two types of ballast resistors, also two types of voltage regulators and at least two styles of alts. There is an electronic voltage regulator with needs it's own ballast resistor (two prong), and then a mechanical regulator that needs a different type ballast (single prong), you can't interchange the two styles. There are also a single fld alt and a double fld alt these are wired differently depending on which regulator you have??
Old 10-23-2008, 03:52 PM

do you have a repair manual like a chilton,mitchell or maybe even a haynes these will have some diagrams of wire layouts along with resistance readings on what it should be normaly or if you want to get a service manual for it i think yearone has them kinda pricey though but it covers everything about your car as for just telling you what goes where is this a electronic ignition or points ? what year and type of car is it ? sry i cant help you more
goodluck with it
Old 10-24-2008, 04:30 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How about a wiring diagram? Here's you a link to some downloadable ones', including your Charger

http://www.mymopar.com/72to76_wiring.htm
Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 AM

hey sky
buck has a pretty good site there that should help ya id also cut the tape off of the harness and look for breaks and bad connections id also consider getting a manual though as they have helped me alot , and with what fury said with the diffent stuff id make sure the voltage reg is correct as for your ballast yours should have come with the 2 prong style but a single prong will work with electronic ignition you have to re-wire the terminals to adapt too the single prongs ive done this to hide my electronic ignition stuff on my 70 dart, i just thought of something your local library should have repair manuals and 5 cents a copy or something like that. this could also help ya
goodluck
Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Mopar Lover

That site is awesome, is there one where they include 77?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Mopar Lover

Can you hear anything when you turn they key, like some sort of electronic sound, like maybe the starter trying to do something? I had problems restarting my car the other day, and the battery just slipped below the point where the starter could turn and not turn. I just popped in a new battery I took out of my Jeep and it started right up, recharged the old one and now its fine. Just something to consider.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:11 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Commando
That site is awesome, is there one where they include 77?

I dont have one saved Commando, but there may be. I just searched for "Wiring Diagrams" and the specific year and car, and then did a lot of looking. I've been pretty successful finding them for almost any car I've been working on. Good luck with it.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Mopar Lover

Did it have anything to do with the condenser, as I believe I have a condensor hooked to something on the firewall. As to the one on the coil, that is just for radio interference, or at least that's what I have been told.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Mopar Lover

Oh ok, good to have some resources.

Have you tried any carb cleaner to clean it out? Is there varnishing in the carb?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Mopar Lover

If it's not shooting gas when you move the throttle arm, it's most likely the accelerator pump. Look to see if it's disconnected, if it's connected, then it's either worn out or dried up and not sealing. If you get a shot of gas when you open the throttle, and not when you're running, then you probably have a blockage in the carb. First thing I'd do is crack the fuel line at the carb, turn the engine over to see if gas is being pumped to the carb. If it is, it's time to rebuild that carb it seems. I'm assuming that the car won't run at all as it is now.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Mopar Lover

I will be taking the one off my 400 soon if that helps, it is a Holley Street Dominator. Let me know if this works or not.