Is my car worth keeping the original engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 12:55 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is my car worth keeping the original engine?

Hello all,
My '67 Belvedere II has the original 318 engine in it, and has had maintenance items done on it over the years, but has never had a long or short block done. It has a bit over 42K original miles on it, and starts and runs strong, but shows it's age...a bit of valve train noise, shows a hint of light blue smoke at time, and never idles as smooth as I'd like it to. I haven't had to add oil between changes, and has no leaks. The timing chain, carb, transmission gasket, head gasket, and rear main seal are new.
I can just drive the car as is, but I've considered swapping the original block for a well-done long block, or having a long block done to the original engine at a shop.

I realize my car, as nice as it is, isn't a huge collectable. Would I be making a mistake by taking the original engine from it?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2021, 02:16 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
That is a nice car and I think it does have some collector value. Check the compression on all the cylinders. If you have good compression and you are not using oil, I would drive it. As far as it not running smooth, maybe a good tune up and valve adjustment would help. Todays gasoline is not carburetor friendly and may be some of the rough idle problem.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 498 Likes on 480 Posts
I would not hesitate for a second to build a small block for it and swap it for the original 318. Just pull it and set it aside with all the original pieces and have a blast with your car.

I don't Leave anything stock....
Old 02-15-2021, 04:23 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fivepoint
That is a nice car and I think it does have some collector value. Check the compression on all the cylinders. If you have good compression and you are not using oil, I would drive it. As far as it not running smooth, maybe a good tune up and valve adjustment would help. Todays gasoline is not carburetor friendly and may be some of the rough idle problem.
Thanks for the advice. The only thing I haven't done is check the compression. It's been tuned by a professional and he also just put on an new edelbrock 600cfm carb with electronic choke.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:05 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowan
I would not hesitate for a second to build a small block for it and swap it for the original 318. Just pull it and set it aside with all the original pieces and have a blast with your car.

I don't Leave anything stock....
yeah. that.