super bee update ....and near death experiences..

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super bee update ....and near death experiences..

Ok well Saturday I took a trip to summit and got an edelbrock performer intake and headman headers. I also got a jet kit for the demon carb and fuel lines gaskets and other small things. So after sitting in the car with the gf, who was an absolute pleasure given her special monthly disposition, I was back home and free to dwell amongst my man cave.
Well at first I was a little nervous about taking it all apart. I've never rebuilt a carb and didn't want to mess anything up. But the guy at summit gave me some kind of "chitlins" manual or something like that that I followed to a T and just prayed it worked.
First I needed to check the alternator so after removing it from the car and getting it checked, I installed it again. When I started it up, I was spraying this special 12$ belt spray on the belts when my first painful mistake happened. The original fan aparantly big enough so my uncle aparantly decided to put one on that was previously used for a black hawk. So when I decided to stick my finger inside its 5 million rpm blades, the pain was so bad I could litterally hear colors. However I couldn't exactly scream in agony because the super fan also busted the 12$ can of belt spray which was now exploding amongst my face. After the pain subsided and I finished flushing my face with the water hose. I was ready to begin on the carb and intake.
Removal and instalation went smoothly ... Well as smoothly as can bee expected and not counting dropped tools screaming cursing and loosing things. But either way I followed the manual and went to start it up ... Whalaaaa it fired right up. Its almost like I new what I was doing. So I sat there and drank my barly soda admiring my work with a cigar in hand and walked over to the hood. Fuel.....fuel was spraying everywhere .... I mean.... Spraying and I had an ember the size of a golf ball in my face. Luckily I made it around the car to turn it off.
So I tightened the T on the fuel lines that came loose from the factory and began again.
The car fired right up again and I decided to take it down the neighborhood....
Did you know .... There is this really special vacum line..... And if you hook it up backwards ..... You will have absolutely no brakes..... Like none....I found this out at 35 mph in a culdesac which I turned into a mini chase scene from fast and furious Tokyo drift. I made it home and cleaned out my trousers then fixed the vacum line and went to bed....
So now all I have to do is install my headers and put different jets on my road demon. My question is #1 will anything about headers and jets kill me? Are there any tips for intalling headers ? And lastly I have a whole set of jets for the road demon 625. Which should I use .... The biggest or med? ...
Old 02-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
Camper -

First, I really like your car!

Second, OUCH.

Third, have you considered bowling as a hobby... on second thought, that ball is pretty heavy.

For real:

Doubt you needed the $12 can of belt spray.
You're lucky you still have your finger tip, my uncle was so lucky years ago.

If you didn't attach the vacuum hose to the power booster, you will still have full breaks, but the pedal will feel different, like, well like they were manual and it will sink faster.

Not familiar with the Demon, but if it's similar to a Holley, the jet change is pretty straight forward. Don't over tighten them, and put them in on the same side of the block that old ones came out of.

MAKE SURE ALL THE GASKETS ARE SEATED AND FUEL LINES SECURE BEFORE YOU TRY TO FIRE IT UP.

Unfortunately which jets depends on testing.

Headers huh?

Breaking the old manifold bolts are the first problem.
Think WD-40 and patience.

The most common problem with header installation is fitment. (Sure, it says they are supposed to fit, right?) Sometimes you can get them in from the top, but usually from underneath is easier. Some force and a BFH (on the header, not the car) may be required. If you going under the car, please be careful... B bodies and big blocks sometimes require torsion bar removal.

Oh, get good header gaskets.
Any header flange/head irregularities will result in a leak sooner or later.
The Ram-Flex gaskests worked really well for me.

Again, be careful...

Archer

Last edited by Archer; 02-11-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bro thats crazy...we have a 68 Dodge Coronet 440 and its been fun to work on....its the first car my boys and I have ever worked on,.... We have taking the engine out and rebuilt it and what have you... And all I can say is this forum helps alot...Most of the guys here are very helpfull and will get you out of a bind.....have fun with the car and I dont want this to come across in a bad way BUT the fan part was funny because I did almost the same thing.....I had a small flash light looking down the motor while it was running and the flash light hit the fan to where it launched it out of my hands and hit me right on my forehead. ...my boys could not stop laughing. ..
Old 02-11-2014, 06:12 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
For all the problems and pain you went through you may want to get help with the headers...Do you have any friends that could help you it sometimes takes an extra set of hands to do...If I were you I would give up on fixing cars and become a comedy writer you have a great sense of humor for what you went through...The fan thing I think everybody has done...A clutch fan is more forgiving, I have never heard of a can exploding though and for that you are the first...So now you are a pioneer and will remember that for ever...LMAO...Bill Good story...
Old 02-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know on my 440 I have to almost take tbe engine out to get the headers out..its very tight.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm glad you guys enjoyed my post. And yea the corner of the blade hit it just right to poke a hole through the can ...which was right at face and mouth didstance. Btw it has almost a sweet tangy and cancerous type of flavor.*
* * Oh and no I have no friends to help. All
Of my friends are actually having kids on purpose now and the rest of them have to much of a hard time getting permission from their wardens (aka girlfriends) to come hang out in the cave of man. I do have one friend that can help but his effectiveness is inversely proportional to the amount of yuenglings that he consumes. Not to mention last time he destroyed my cardboard cut out of my Budweiser girl.*
* *But I apprechiate the aforemntioned bits of wisdom. I still think the carb is running lean, I also bought some new jets for the little 625 demon. I know its a little small but it was free so I'm going to check it out. I have so much I want to do but lack the time to do it in. I'm a full time employee, full time student, full time boyfriend and part time musician. I need to just start a thread called the super bee cronicles. Because after I get it running properly then comes the electrical issues and body work .....