Want more power

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want more power

I want more power.
Car has a remanufactured 440. It seems pretty much stock except for the edelbrock rpm performer intake and the holley 780 street avenger. I have been looking around and I AM CONFUSED. I just want more power and better sound. I am looking at the edelbrock top end kit which come with a hydraulic flat tappet cam, also the edelbrock heads with a comp cam solid roller, or 440 source stealth heads (cnc machined) with a comp cam solid roller. I can't make up my god damn mind and spring is right around the corner. I am asuming the compression in this engine is 9.5. I drive this car not race it, except when you get these little rice eating punks wanting to race you at a stop light. I have not lost, but I just want to beat them easier(is that wrong?). So I am just looking for some input. The car is also a 4 speed with a 3.23 locker.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
cyan -

Just remember, almost anything you do that makes those "when you get these little rice eating punks wanting to race you at a stop light" moments better, will make your normal driving less "fun". For example id you're running an auto trans, doing serious engine mods will require a higher stall converter and that "stop light" stuff might require a higher rear end ratio.

Don't recall what car you have, but most B-bodies are pretty heavy, that's gonna be a problem against most "rice eating punks". Take a lot of HP to make up for a 500 lbs (or more) difference in weight.

Not telling you not to go for it, just understand what you're doing.

Archer
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had both, rice burnners & B-Bodies! What ever rice burners your coming
up against is most likely a stock car with little to no mods. My little 2.2 Shadow
Shelby had over 400hp and did 0-60 in 3.8 sec. with a top speed of over 150mph,
fun car! My Miata only had 220hp, much less then most 440 cars, but the power
to weight ratio gave the Miata the advantage.
In order to beat the high end ricers your gonna have to spend a lot of money and
your 440 car will not be fun as a daily driver.
I'm driving a 1979 Magnum GT w/T-Tops 360ci 4bbl (High performance E58 Police)
It's very fast but, not 0-60 in 5 sec. ricer fast!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyah
I want more power.
Car has a remanufactured 440. It seems pretty much stock except for the edelbrock rpm performer intake and the holley 780 street avenger. I have been looking around and I AM CONFUSED. I just want more power and better sound. I am looking at the edelbrock top end kit which come with a hydraulic flat tappet cam, also the edelbrock heads with a comp cam solid roller, or 440 source stealth heads (cnc machined) with a comp cam solid roller. I can't make up my god damn mind and spring is right around the corner. I am asuming the compression in this engine is 9.5. I drive this car not race it, except when you get these little rice eating punks wanting to race you at a stop light. I have not lost, but I just want to beat them easier(is that wrong?). So I am just looking for some input. The car is also a 4 speed with a 3.23 locker.
just keep in mind, if your compression is 9.5 and you put aluminum heads, you compression will fall to 8.5. Aluminum heads loose the thermal efficiency that iron heads have, so to be safe, your compression should be around 10.7 with aluminum heads.