6-71 roots

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update!

Ok. So I have the 450 stroker from muscle motors. Have the blower and all pulleys. Engine compression is 8.5, and running 5-6 psi boost. Will be running 98 octane. I have learned so much about building a car, and this forum has helped immensely. I am going manual brakes, with 4 piston calliper disc brakes up front. I have tore down the car, and will be pulling motor in next couple of weeks to get bored.

I have considered just building a huge stroker, but I want to bling factor. A blower sure says power, and that's what I want. I will be installing a 4" intake spacer to help cool the charge, and stick the blower further out the hood.

Pics are being taken. Will post a bunch as I start putting stuff back together. Building starts this fall. Should have it on the road next spring.

Thanks for the support folks!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
Order the cam after the short block is done.... This way you get a good solid number with what your going to use for heads..
Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Mopar Lover

Looks like this..... Bling Bling !!!!

Ok This one then....lol
The following users liked this post:
1968newport (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Mopar Fan

I already have the cam, and the heads! I have been learning as I go here, and I realize now that I have overlooked some things. But on the advice of others, what I am using should work dandy. I'm using an engle cam, blower grind, and edelbrock performer rpm 88cc heads. I currently have headman headers. I really want the Tti ones, but for the first season I may run the hedman, as I will be going on vacation this year and its cutting into my Newport budget! 1-18" primaries, and 3" collector. I think I should be fine.

I still need a torque converter, and my lifter/pushrods/rocker setup. I know I'm going adjustable rockers with a ratio of 1.6. Shaft mounted. I just don't know where to get it all. Was thinking of crane cams.

Another question if the cam I have is flat tappet can I use hydraulic lifters with it? I don't want to be adjusting things every 400 Kms or so, so I want to avoid solid lifters. The is an "H" in the grind number, so I don't know if this is a hydraulic flat tappet or what. Again, I am learning.

Trying to find an intake spacer to help cool the charge, but not really sure if this is necessary. Maybe I will go without, and if its an issue I will get one and a longer belt.

That video is awesome!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Sounds like all you can do is take the number off the cam and call Engle and ask them?
I would double check and have them send you the info on it.
Blower cams can be a little touchy.....

I agree, the valvetrain is the biggest challenge... Just done get to carried away..

No spacing of the blower needed in this case, Just a good manifold... I think trying to put a cool air intake charge on a Roots type blower is just crazy talk.. But thats Is my 2 cents....

I'm watching this build....
Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Mopar Fan

Ok. I have ordered my chromoly pushrods, and hydraulic lifts. The rockers are 1.6 ratio adjustable shaft mounted aluminum roller rockers.....say that 5 times fast! I had some pictures so far on my camera but things disappeared! Will start taking some more again with my ipad, from this point on. Really, a bit of tear down was lost.

What I meant by intake spacer,is not a cooler. You can get intercoolers for a roots type which sits in between the lower and manifold and is piped to a rad. That is it what I meant either. It's simply a 4" spacer, that is supposed to lower the charge temperature and help prevent detonation.

I think I'm safe with the 2 fuel pumps which I will be running. One per carb, 150 GPh each. So detonation should it be a factor here unless my compression gets too high! In that case I will mess with my pulleys to under drive the blower.

Now I'm looking for a good timing chain set. And fuel regulators, and gauges. Then the assembly begins!

Another issue I'm having here is fuel tank. I will need 2 10an outlet fittings, and 2 return line fittings plus vent. Can I tap my stock fuel tank or what?

Thanks for comments and help racer hog. Have you built blower motors before?

My intake is a plain and basic 383 chrome intake with a 1/2" fip not thread on the front. No pressure valves are anything. It's a Hampton intake and blower.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Mopar Fan

I went with isky lifters and chromoly rods, and Harland sharp rockers
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Mopar Lover

1.. Cool
2.. Hum...I see...
3.. Why not a bigger pump with a return?
4.. Hampton and Good Vibrations are good sources
5.. You can have a sump welded in for what you need. 2-10an's Wow!!
6.. A few
7.. So no burst panel.... Don Hampton and his guys are good folks. Hes shop is only about 20 min. from me.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Mopar Fan

To tell you the truth, I went with 2pumps (even though one is strong enough), because I would need a 3/4" fuel line to the regulator. The pump has a 3/8" in and out. The recommended in line is a 10an. Since I am using 3/8 fuel line, I went with one for each carb.

Yes that's what it's called. Burst panel. Ya,I don't have one. I love the quality of hamptons stuff. Although they did tell me to use my stock fuel pump, stock ignition, and 91 octane gas. I lost some confidence in the,, but I know he builds the best blowers on the market.

Kewl. As long as I can weld something on my stock tank. They don't like to see cells in trunks around here. They will impound your car for that.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:06 AM
Mopar Lover

You can weld in something like these with bigger Bungs....
http://www.competitionengineering.co...?CatCode=10070
Old 09-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Mopar Fan

Racerhogg, so are you agreeing with what I'm doing here with my fuel system or what?! Lol. I can't seem to upload pics...
Old 09-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Mopar Fan

I think I am going to order up a fuel cell and stick it in the trunk with the battery and sub woofers. Of course, I need to take care to isolate the cell from the sheet metal, and the battery.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Mopar Fan

Find me on Facebook. Jim kilipouris. Would love to befriend you racerhogg.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Mopar Fan

Ok. Cap I am adding pictures to my album under albums in the forum. Once I start putting stuff together, I will be taking more pics of the progress.