HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!!

Recently I've had the old 2bbl carter carb rebuilt at no prevail, I'm calling it a loss and waste of hard earned money...Anyway, its running horrible; spitts, and sputters, pukes, stalls, and farts. However, I've had my eye on a Holly 500cfm; PART #: 0-4412S to upgrade to and electronic choke. Im also getting the linkage extender just incase.

Would you all agree?

What do I need to do in order to get this done?? Are there any adapters or something i should know about?
Im a total noob and I figure no better way to learn unless I do this with my trusty shop manual.

I love my car, her name is "christine", like the 57 fury...I hate seeing her just sitting in my garadge collecting dust, she wants to be driven....

Any tips, or sigguestions will be greatly appreciated..
THANK YOU!!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I learned form an old wrench, that most carb problems are in the distributor! I've always been poor, so I always do my trouble shooting before throwing parts at things!

Last edited by scotts74birds; 09-16-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by scotts74birds
I learned form an old wrench, that most carb problems are in the distributor! I've always been poor, so I always do my trouble shooting before throwing parts at things!
That's where I'd also look.

New points, condenser, distributor cap and rotor could really make the difference. I've had condensers go bad before and even bought a brand new condenser that was bad. Another thing that I had happen, is I had an entire set of silicone plug wires break down. They still looked good but, I had addressed everything else. I replaced the wires and she ran like new.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:25 AM

good ideas, thanks a bunch!!!! Ill check and see first thing tomarrow. I know anything can happen, i work on computers alot too...All that should be faily new though, back in March I replaced the plugs, wires, cap, fuel pump and inline filter, oil pump, oil pump pressure switch, and put all new seals and gaskets on my differential because it was leaking.....

Could it possibly be the gapping in the plugs?
I think I set it to .40 or 45.....
I drink alot and dont really remember.. lol
What should it be at? in the morning ill also shine a flashlight under the cap in a dark room and check for cracks. I'll pull each plug and see if its white or black or even broken.. and check each wire for cuts in the insolation or burns because its pretty close to the exauhst manifolds....
But if thats all good then what?!!!
Try that sweet new holly 500cfm carb???!!
and if that aint it look at timing and a cam shaft?
and if that aint it look into compression of each cylender?

Im loving every second of this reso project!!
cant wait to get it running strong again....im putting some pictures up of me and my beautiful 65 dodge.

you folks are really good help!! Thanks!

- Silverick, I've converted it from point ignition to electrical ignition when I first bought it 4 years ago, $4200!!!

- scott, thanks for the info ill look into that man! much appreciated

Ps. its a 383 2bbl carter carb, 727 Torque flight.

Last edited by 65PolaraBoy; 09-17-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Mopar Fan

alright i think the gap on those plugs should be .035 that is what it is on my 68 383. and if your carb is spitting fuel after a rebuild, first and most important, Enjoy the show.. watching the flames pop out of that thing is rad! 2nd you distibutor is more than likely 180. Pull off your distributor wire, pull the #1 spark out. put your thumb over the hole, and have a buddy BUMP the engine over till your thumb is pushed off the hole. Now check your rotor postition, it should be at #1 if it's not, flip that distributor around. Good luck and happy rodding. oh and about the carb, there was a post on here a few days ago saying that holleys are for the track. edlebrock is for the street. check it out, there is some good info in there.

Last edited by Greaser; 09-17-2010 at 03:14 AM. Reason: forgot stuff