does the brake pedal have a return spring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does the brake pedal have a return spring?

1970 340 cuda. the resting position of the brake pedal makes the brake light come on. if i pull the brake pedal up, the brake light goes off. this just happened. it didn't used to be this way. i believe the pedal stayed up and the brake light was off and it came on only when you applied the brakes like normal. or does the pressure from the master cylinder push it back up?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

there should be a return spring after years they will stretch also look for the brake light switch the back of the pedal arm pushes up against this, you should have some adjustment left so you can close the gap.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
The return spring on a brake system is in the rear brakes with drums. The front use a square cut seal on disc to do the same job. That is what returns the brake pedal up via the master cylinder which does have a spring inside of it as well.

The brake pedal itself does not have a spring to return it up. If your pedal is low there is a reason. It could be a brake switch out of adjustment but that doesn't happen very often.

Grab your brake pedal and lift it up to its highest position. Look at where it is, use a tape measure if necessary, It should not free drop more than 1/8 - 1/4. When you push on it it should only drop 1 in before you start pushing on the brake shoes, pads. That is a good pedal drop. Half the time nobody adjusts there brakes or checks them so dropping 2 inches is not a surprise. If it drops more than that there is air in the system or a leak.

Finally there is one more possibility that I have seen before but not very often. Its called a bowed firewall. In accidents sometimes people in fear use both feet on the pedal and push like mad. The firewall bows out after snapping the braces inside the car. It's not the easiest repair to do by far but I have done them before. Takes alot welding though to replace the bracket inside the car.

Its a messy job to do. If your pedal wont adjust with the brake light switch that might be the problem. Its also visible if you look at it right since the firewall actually bows out about 3 inches when it happens.