New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

1980 Dodge Aspen Sedan 225

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 08:26 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
I think if I left California..... I would never look back.... Only thing good here, is the weather and the available assortment of things to do with-in a short drive..
Anyway... Your looking good...
Just an FYI... On those spark plug wires, Reroute them or put a piece of rubber wherever they are touching metal.. That will keep them from rubbing threw and shorting out.
Mopar on !!!!! Cheers
Old 08-01-2021, 09:39 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
I'm leaving CA and never looking back. The only good thing here are the things to do and the *Winter* weather—these summers rot. Bad.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 482 Posts
I've never seen the attraction of the golden state.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:56 AM
Mopar Lover

Me either. Only reason I'm here is because my dad came out for the "construction boom" in the '80s, just in time for that recession. Been stuck here ever since. Leaving asap, probably Arizona way, in the mountains where it's cool and there aren't as many weak snowflake types. CA is great if you're into programming, acting, music, or panning for gold. Otherwise, what a wasteland!
The following users liked this post:
RacerHog (08-03-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in Minnesota, always have been. Life in Minnesota is pretty good, but we have more mosquitos than anywhere I have ever been to. I've been to Florida, I've been in the jungle in Mexico, we have more mosquitos in Minnesota. I don't know about South America, I've never been there.

Before I got west of the Rockies, I thought I would love California. Turned out California was pretty dry, brown, and dirty. We liked Carpinteria and the Redwoods. San Fransisco was pretty snooty, and LA was just smog, pollution. We had our kids with and we had fun at Disneyland.

The Oregon coast line was pretty cool. The Sierra Nevadas and the Columbia river valley were cool. Most of what I saw of Washington state was just rolling pasture, similar to what I see at home.

West of the Rockies was the first time I was ever at a place that did not have mosquitos, it blew my mind, life without mosquitos could be pretty cool. You could be outside at night, without these little bugs biting you.

Before I went east, I always thought I'd dislike Florida. First time to the Keys, loved it! Been back over and over. It reminds me of the Caribbean, but US mainland, which is safer with my kids. I'm am now getting into small sail boats, just to cruise around Florida's coast. Florida does have some biting insects that come out at sunset. But they are nothing like the ones in MN.

Once our kids are gone, I'm probably ghosting to the Caribbean on a larger boat. I suppose I'll have to give this Aspen to one of my kids.

Back to the top: I like living in Minnesota. I like South Dakota. I like Wisconsin. I like the big lakes. It s a good place to be.
RacerHog (08-03-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 01:22 PM

I will move that plug wire, good eye and thank you.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:33 PM

I'll head back to the Rockies and some of the West Coast, the mountains are huge, I've barely scratched the surface. There is a lot to see. My son and I are starting to talk about road trips in the Aspen, sleeping out of tents. I could see some of those in and through the Rockies.

I just don't want to pretend that I know all about it, because I've barely seen any of it. I'm only talking about our impressions the one time we went that way.
RacerHog (08-03-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:54 AM
Mopar Lover

"Turned out California was pretty dry, brown, and dirty."

100% lol and for a guy who was raised in CO... the desert isn't for me. At all.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:04 PM

New Engine

A couple weeks ago I was rippin down the freeway at 4000 RPM with my original 1980 slant 6 and I blew a hole right through the side of the block. Yes it had oil in it, doesn't anymore, LOL. It actually kept running while I got to the side of the freeway, I turned it off with the key. It was running a little rough though.

I've been perseverating all summer about whether to go V8 or keep this little gem of an engine. Now the decision is made for me.

Below is a picture of the hole in the block, and another picture of the next engine, which is currently running, being pulled today, was in a duster that rolled 4 weeks ago hence the close radiator, and I will be picking up tomorrow. It is high miles, so I am going to rebuild and repaint it, make it pretty. Its a Roller 360 LA with a chrysler 4 barrel intake, a four barrel thermoquad. The guy is going to keep that air filter housing. I'm paying $500 placed on my trailer.

I wasn't mad about the slant six, not even the day of. Its all fun. What should I expect, 85 on the freeway with a 40 year old engine. I'm excited about this new motor. We're gonna get 300-350 hp, I'll paint it all chrysler blue paint and find a big air cleaner for it to put a 360 sticker on. I'm gonna limit the chrome, keep original valve covers, etc. I'll reuse most of the internals, unless they look horrible. If I like the car immobile in my driveway, I like it. Rock n Roll! I think the blue will look good in the tan engine bay.

This is a hole in the side of my 1980 225 slant six.

This is a running 360, with intake, with thermoquad 4 barrel, that is being pulled today and will replace my busted slant six.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 71 Duster 383/6 pk

I am a new member having joined today, and just bought my long wanted retirement car. I haven't brought it home yet, still waiting on shipping. It is a 71 Plymouth Duster, originally a slant 6 rust free car, now in Plum Crazy with a 383 and 6 pack. I hope to take this to the next level with some new additions to the car, so my wife and I can use it for old car tours. I want to replace the drum brakes to disc, proably all the way around, and add AC and maybe cruise control. Has anyone ever added AC and cruise to a 6 pack car? Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Old 10-26-2021, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 482 Posts
Start a new thread about your Duster it look's like a nice ride....
Old 10-26-2021, 04:49 PM

Looks like fun. Looks a lot like the green duster I pulled this 360 out of. It was very clean.

There are aftermarket AC kits of all sorts, small compressors, etc. You might need a new crankshaft pulley, and a couple brackets. I'm sure you'll want some pretty ones for that engine bay.

There are disc brake conversion kits, probably well worth the money, the rolled duster I pulled my motor out of had drums all the way around. Maybe discs would have changed the story? I went another route and found out that late 90s cherokee rear disc brakes bolt directly to my 1980 8.25 axle. Do you know what axle you have? Probably 8.75

For the front; I am always drooling over the MagnumForce K Member that bolts directly onto the subframes, providing coil overs, rack and pinion steering, tons of engine bay room, and decreases weight, that thing can be ordered with disc brakes too. I think all done up I priced it at around 7K delivered, but the install is a breeze once the engine is out. Looks like a good kit.

On another topic: Anybody have any of the Shumacher 73 and up spool mount s6 to 360LA motor mounts? I'd like to bolt this engine to my K member someday. I'm not going to buy the Magnum Force K Member. I'll probably learn this forum and search in parts or something too.