New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

New to Mopar

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Mopar

Hi, I'm 26 years old, male; and I reside in West Virginia. Just a few days ago I purchased my first mopar, a 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye and it's a project car to say the least.

I know very little about Mopar, and I don't know where to look for parts. Having a place where I can get some information on the fly would be very nice.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
First of all welcome aboard. Second of all fire away with the questions you have.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Welcome!

We have a lot of info as far as where to go when looking for parts. I think there's a thread even with more links than an Italian meat market.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:13 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome aboard have any pics of car we like pics here to
Old 12-31-2012, 05:48 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by 78D200
Welcome!

We have a lot of info as far as where to go when looking for parts. I think there's a thread even with more links than an Italian meat market.
The first thing I need to know is... Where can I finds body parts, I need a hood, both fenders and an entire front grill/bumper assembly. Basically, I need everything from the firewall forward lol

And I need floor pans too

Originally Posted by 62Furious
Welcome aboard have any pics of car we like pics here to
Yeah, I've got a couple. I haven't picked up the car yet, I'll have more when I get it home.
Attached Thumbnails New to Mopar-72-charger.jpg   New to Mopar-72-charger-2.jpg   New to Mopar-72-charger-3.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 80 Likes on 80 Posts
welcome to the forum
Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Welcome to the forum.... Many years of Mopar knowledge on here so there will be many answers to your questions... Be sure to check out the Mopar of the Month contest we have here.....
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
Feral -

Welcome aboard, hate to say it, but start with eBay.
First question, is are you looking for a restoration or a hot rod? The latter is a lot easier, cheaper and (IMHO) more fun.

A lot of parts on the 3rd gen Chargers (71- 74) are interchangeable.

Archer
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Welcome reproduction body parts are few [hoods,fenders] are not reproduced that i'm aware of,Glass and interior parts are reproduced depending on what it is. Quarter panels are reproduced for 71-72 chargers you have the better year for parts. Check Craigs list,swap meets [preferabley mopar swap meets],racing junk.com,mopar forums here and others.We are rebuilding a basket case 73 charger for the last year and a half i repaired my fenders,decklid,trunk floor,inner fender[under battery box],quarter panels,wheel houses,firewall,cowling and gonna attempt to fix the hood.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Archer
Feral -

Welcome aboard, hate to say it, but start with eBay.
First question, is are you looking for a restoration or a hot rod? The latter is a lot easier, cheaper and (IMHO) more fun.

A lot of parts on the 3rd gen Chargers (71- 74) are interchangeable.

Archer
I'm not entirely sure... I've kinda got to just take it one step at a time. I want to put on '71 parts tho, I don't like the 72 grille.

I've got a 440 for it from an old Dodge camper I can use, but the ultimate dream is a 426 Hemi. But, I got to be realistic; $18K for a crate engine probably isn't going to happen with my income lol.

Originally Posted by lou3500
Welcome reproduction body parts are few [hoods,fenders] are not reproduced that i'm aware of,Glass and interior parts are reproduced depending on what it is. Quarter panels are reproduced for 71-72 chargers you have the better year for parts. Check Craigs list,swap meets [preferabley mopar swap meets],racing junk.com,mopar forums here and others.We are rebuilding a basket case 73 charger for the last year and a half i repaired my fenders,decklid,trunk floor,inner fender[under battery box],quarter panels,wheel houses,firewall,cowling and gonna attempt to fix the hood.
Why aren't hoods and fenders reproduced?I'll have to find new fenders, hood and maybe even a trunk lid cos I don't know how to do body work. And I'll need everything for the interior, it basically doesn't exist in this car.

Last edited by FERAL; 12-31-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
Feral -

Do an eBay search on

(1971, 1972, 1973, 1973, 71, 72, 73, 74) Dodge Charger

You might be surprised.

Engine options go from a straight 6 to a 440/426, but the simplest would depend on what was originally in the car.

Archer
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Archer
Feral -

Do an eBay search on

(1971, 1972, 1973, 1973, 71, 72, 73, 74) Dodge Charger

You might be surprised.

Engine options go from a straight 6 to a 440/426, but the simplest would depend on what was originally in the car.

Archer
I ran the vin some time ago, it came with a 400 ci. But, I don't plan to do an exact restoration. I've got a 440 which I might try to get a sixpack intake build for it.

I'm a bit worried about the fenders and hood, I don't make alot of money so trying to get parts on the other side of the country would be... difficult.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't know if you have timeline to get your car finished, but work on what you have now and keep a list of what you need. Keep checking ebay and craigslist. There is a large MOPAR meet in Pa in July and the MOPAR Nats in Columbus in August. Both of those events would be a good place to shop for parts. I'm sure there are other swap meets in your area. These are great cars but finding restoration parts is more difficult than say a cheby or ferd. Good Luck
Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by fivepoint
Welcome to the forum. I don't know if you have timeline to get your car finished, but work on what you have now and keep a list of what you need. Keep checking ebay and craigslist. There is a large MOPAR meet in Pa in July and the MOPAR Nats in Columbus in August. Both of those events would be a good place to shop for parts. I'm sure there are other swap meets in your area. These are great cars but finding restoration parts is more difficult than say a cheby or ferd. Good Luck
The first thing I want to get done is the floor pans, which won't be a problem cos I know I can get them. In the process of replacing the pans I'll take this opportunity to pull the frames out, make any neccessary repairs and clean them up.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Here's somhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/71-72-73-74-Charger-Weatherstrip-Kit-Door-Roof-Trunk-/290367138316?fits=Year:1973|Makeodge|Model:Charg er&hash=item439b3aea0c&item=290367138316&pt=Motors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtre links:http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/charger.html

http://www.shermanparts.com/ecat/bas...CHAR&year=1973

http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/cgi-...&category=0010

http://www.up22.com/charger68.htm#DC-402R/L
http://www.classicindustries.com/mop...?p=7&sb=0&r=15

These are all the sites i saved for parts [i have not ordered anything] i have made all my sheetmetal patches. If your patent you'll find parts [rust free if found will be pricy] you really need to consider learning to do the body repair your self [body work and paint is the most expensive part of this hobby] as any one on any Fourm they will tell you the same thing. Click on my link at the bottom of this page and see what i started with and how far it has come [and i did not know how to weld,fabricate,do bodywork,paint] i got a ways to go but it's 150% better than when it came here.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:20 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

well at least you got the car
my brother has everything else accept the car.
the door looks like it's off of a 70 charger or did they run that door line for more years?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 AM
Mopar Fanatic

It looks to me our friend has found a 72 rally Charger read this.
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ma...oupe/1972.html

My bad he states that right off,the door slots are 72 rally,bee ect not on stockers. 71s had the gills on the doors.

Last edited by lou3500; 01-01-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 AM

Hi,I blew my back out in 2009 and was forced to sell 3 complete chargers(enough to build 2 cars and many parts left over)that was in harrisburg area,I now live in uniontown,Pa.Where in WV do you live,(Iam right on the border)I could try to hook you up with the guy who bought my cars(he was one of us good guys)most likely real reasonable with whatever parts he may have left over,let me know,Scott
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Scott Moats
Hi,I blew my back out in 2009 and was forced to sell 3 complete chargers(enough to build 2 cars and many parts left over)that was in harrisburg area,I now live in uniontown,Pa.Where in WV do you live,(Iam right on the border)I could try to hook you up with the guy who bought my cars(he was one of us good guys)most likely real reasonable with whatever parts he may have left over,let me know,Scott
I live in Boone County, about a half hour south of Charleston and near the Logan County line.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Hi Feral. Welcome to the forum.

I am working on a 71 Charger right now. I can tell you its a bit of a pain having a car they don't make a lot of reproduction parts for. Classic Industries has a lot of stuff though. I have bought floor pans and some quarter patches from them. I have done a lot of stuff from scratch/scrap. I myself haven't found a replacement readily available for the fenders. I am hoping to save mine. Check out my thread on my car, it might be helpful.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Mopar Fan

I finally got the car home a couple hours ago.

Now that it's home I've taken stock of a few things I can do to the car relatively soon, of course there is the floor pans but I also noticed that I need a torsion bar for the drivers side.

Are those available and how hard are they to install? And should I go ahead and buy both sides and replace the passenger side while I'm at it?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Torsion bars are available and floorpans are available check my links in an earlier post here to see floorpans.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by lou3500
Torsion bars are available and floorpans are available check my links in an earlier post here to see floorpans.
I found them, and dang if they aren't expensive lol.

I'm not going to worry about the suspension at this point, I want to get as much of the body/metal work together as possible before starting on that bit.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Mopar Fanatic

That's what i'm doing body work then suspension once the shell is complete i can cover it up and do the motor and transmission,interior.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 AM
Mopar Fan

Fenders and hood might be out of the question this year, yesterday me and a friend looked the car over in greater detail and it's going to require alot more metal work than expected.

I'll need to get new supports for the floor pans, and I've got to go over a number of "stop signed" patch work in the firewall, and right rear tire well. I don't know much about body work, but I gotta say tho that most of the patch work looks like it was shaped well. I was thinking, if at all possible; I could grind off the rivets, sand the patch metal and weld it back in place.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:03 PM

Smile Check with these guys...

FERAL,

Being from Logan county and a previous Dodge owner I can tell you from experience that finding parts is near to impossible in that neck of the woods, that being said there are a few resources, check with Ply-Do ( Plymouth-Dodge ) in Delbarton ,WV. Straight down corridor G halfway between Logan and Williamson, I have dealt with them in the past and they are very knowledgeable and helpful people, not sure they will have the parts you need but I'm certain they can point you in the right direction, also try Ducky's salvage parts in Salt Rock WV, he has dang near anything you can imagine, myself and a buddy practically built a '72 Chevelle SS from the ground up out of his salvage lot.....good luck, maybe the next time I'm in WV I can come check out the progress??

http://local.yahoo.com/info-12957192-plydo-delbarton
Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by HillbillyTim
FERAL,

Being from Logan county and a previous Dodge owner I can tell you from experience that finding parts is near to impossible in that neck of the woods, that being said there are a few resources, check with Ply-Do ( Plymouth-Dodge ) in Delbarton ,WV. Straight down corridor G halfway between Logan and Williamson, I have dealt with them in the past and they are very knowledgeable and helpful people, not sure they will have the parts you need but I'm certain they can point you in the right direction, also try Ducky's salvage parts in Salt Rock WV, he has dang near anything you can imagine, myself and a buddy practically built a '72 Chevelle SS from the ground up out of his salvage lot.....good luck, maybe the next time I'm in WV I can come check out the progress??

I'll go check out Ply-do and Ducky's lot sometime early next week!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by HillbillyTim
FERAL,

So, where is Ducky's Salvage in Salt Rock?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by FERAL
So, where is Ducky's Salvage in Salt Rock?
Well, it used to be here 20+ years ago ...... (Use Google Maps) 38.36599,-82.223512 I did a web search and it appears that they have sold this location and only have the Huntington location now.

http://duckysautoparts.com/

There used to be another junk yard in the West Hamlin area that dealt primarily with 60-70 era muscle cars but they were shut down in the 90's for having some stolen cars in inventory. I looked around and found a few sites you may want to look at if you have not already.

http://www.junk-yards.net/west_virginia.shtml

http://www.car-part.com/index.htm

Good luck with the hunt...
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Mopar Fan

My stepfather gave me a heads up on a sixpack setup for a big block mopar near by, I'm gonna go see if he ain't just blowing smoke. Is there anything I need to know when I go check it out?

Ya know, to determine what it mounts up to and etc...

Quick Reply: New to Mopar