New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

New and need help on a 1976 plymouth duster , thanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New and need help on a 1976 plymouth duster , thanks

Hey guys , i'm new , and i'm not sure if this is the right area to post this but i wasn't sure sorry if its wrong.

anyways I'm about to buy my First car with my dad , its a 1976 plymouth duster , with a 318 engine , now its in good shape , but not all together , the engine was bored out and has all new parts for it , and theres new springs and all the parts needed that need to be put on

its my dads friend so hes only asking 1000$ and i figure with all the parts being there to get it running shouldn't be past the total of 2500 , and i would probably put another 1000 or 2000 in tires rims paint and extras .

does this sound around right? i know there isnt alot of info on it yet , and its hard to really say yes or no , but this is all i was able to find out right now , my dad saw it yesterday at his house .

is this an alright first car? and am i looking at a lot of money to restore it? sorry i'm not the most technical. i appreciate any help and apologize if i offend anyone with my lack of knowledge , thanks guys .
Old 09-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Welcome!

If all the parts are there then you are really only talking about investing your own time into building it all back together. If that is the case, then you really don't need to spend that much if anything.

A 76 Duster with a 318 that is mildly built is a great first car in my opinion. Is the transmission an auto or manual? Has there been any work done to upgrade the tranny, rear axle, suspension or brakes? What condition is the interior? What condition is the body in? Floor boards? Truck? Cross members? underside and wheel wells?

I know that it's a lot but by looking at all these areas, it will help you to better understand what you will need to put into it. Also ask for reciepts of parts and labor that was done to the motor so that you know what you are getting.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks !

only my dad has seen it as of right now and it wasn't really looked at yet but we re gonna go tomorrow with a friend who knows a little more than we do , basically from what i understand was , it was a persons first car , pretty good condition , and my dads friend bought it around 10-20 years ago , and he was planning on basically restoring it , and its been a project kind of , and now he found he doesn't work on it anymore and offered it ,and i think he has all of the parts, the only thing it needs is a carburetor , and i ll know a lot more about it tomorrow and be able to answer more questions but , as far as i know there has been work to upgrade the tranny , and suspension , and i would presume most of the other important areas , He said that the interior is clean and you could eat out of the trunk , he has all the chrome peices and i think the only rust if any is around the back bumper , and that's roughly all i know , i'm just really excited because it seems like a great car to start working and learning on , and i'll be much more inspired to work on it!

i'm going to make sure to look at all those areas when i go tomorrow and appreciate the help !
Old 09-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Sounds like a gret starter car.... Especially if all the parts are there.... Welcome to the forum and ask away... Questions are always welcomed... While on here be sure to check out the Mopar of the Month contest... See the sticky for the simple rules and then you can help choose the Monthly winners.....
Old 09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to the forums! let us know when you get it and post some pic!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
welcome to the forums , sounds like its a great deal IMOP and you will get alot of help here but we like pic's so post plenty