New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

New and need help - Cordoba

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like your on the right track man. First welcome to Mopar Forums.
I would look at some simple things first, there is probably shellac build up in the carb, floats etc. Old gas sitting forever will do this. Change fuel filter. Check for vacuum leaks say between carb and intake, and hoses, things dry out and shrink and crack etc. Ask all the questions you want, we will help to the best of our ability.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tow it home while hes gone and tell him you got it running! Did you crack open the fuel line at the carb to see if you are getting fuel? Is there fuel in the float bowls? Does the accelerator pump squirt fuel into the carb when you hit the throttle? you should see a squirt of gas in the front barrels when you actuate the linkage. Car need not be running, just need fuel in the floatbowl.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Little Demon

welcome, good luck with the car
Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hope this Help. Welcome to Mopar Forums

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/E...onic/index.htm
Old 10-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by w0lf19
Have not tried this yet. I just need to pull the fuel line where it connects at the carburetor? As far as I can tell, there is no fuel getting to the carb whatsoever, even when the accelerator is pushed. No need to tow it - I cannot park it in the street here (gated community - if it isn't reg'd and tagged it gets towed) and I have motorcycles in the garage + vehicles in the driveway. Besides - it's at my better half's mum's place so I can work on it whenever we visit weekly.
Its sort of a 2 man job, one cranks car over and the other watches the fuel line in a can. I don't want to sound condescending, I am just not sure on skill level so I point out safety first stuff so car/driver don't get BBQ'd. And yes it's the line to the carb.
ps: what have ya got for bikes?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
if you plan on getting rid of the lean burn all you will need is a 383 electrinic distribitor and a holley or edlbrock 600 carb and the price it depends on who you talk to
Old 10-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Mopar Lover

Right now for bikes :

'07 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic - 2300 CC 175 HP/180 lb/ft dyno'd. Turbocharger coming soon.

'07 Triumph Thruxton

'69 Triumph Bonneville/frankenstein - Work in Progress . Turning her into a classic cafe racer.

'95 Triumph Thunderbird - on her last legs, due for a rebuild.
Nice collection man. Love to see some pics of the cafe' resto when done.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
for safety reasons go to your local parts store and purchase a manul starting switch (the one person hand switch) and hook it up with key off and coil wire pulled both ends and crack the fuel line at carb and with a rag to catch fuel drips turn over car and see if any gas is coming out of line if no fuel could be the diaphram in your pump is dryrotted but most cases with fresh gas and a good clean carb the car should fire up and with it running on ether it should fire on good gas . most likely the fuel system is tarnished bad so i recommend draining tank and blowing the lines clean
Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
O-YA Welcome to the fun site and keep us informed on what is happening k
Old 10-31-2009, 07:51 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
welcome to the forum
Old 10-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Mopar Lover

If you drop the tank drain the old gas out and pour a gallon of paint thinner in let it soak it will help get the varnish out. I do that every time I get a project car.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Will do - not sure if ima drop the tank yet or not - not entirely sure how involved that is and if I am ready to try it. Also - just paint thinner? Do I need to clean it out somehow afterward, or is it good to bolt back up and go? Doesn't Seafoam do the same thing? Not sure on cars - I know Ive used it on my truck, but mostly for old motorbikes that haven't started in forever.

Get some PB Blaster spray the bolts heavily let soak for a while. It would be easier with help but you can use a floor jack make sure you lower it just enough to disconnect the gas lines and electric wire for the sending. Once that is done you can lower it completely then loosen the lock ring and take out the sending unit use a siphon hand pump to drain the old gas. Pour in paint thinner let soak, then drain.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Mopar Lover

welcome to the site, sounds like a great car. on the lean burn conversion, youll need the wire harness and brain box besides the distributor. its a snap to do. you can get the whole kit from summit racing, 1-800-230-3030. its on the mopar page of the monthly catalog. when you put the new pump on,as you pull the old 1 out put your finger in the hole, of the block , youll feel a steel pin, it slides back and forth that pin has to sit on top of the arm from the fuel pump to work the pump action, so ,as you put the new pump in, with 1 finger, in the hole holding the pin up, put the pump in at an angle, so the arm willl go under the pin then slidee your finger out at the same time, when you tighten the pump bolts you shoild feel some downward pressure on the pump, this lets you know the pin is riding on the arm where it need s to be.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Well my friend, slow down...lol
1st there are no really easy ways to clean out a fuel tank, if you see/suspect a lot of crap in there you will have to drop the tank. Everything you have cleaned or replaced downstream of a dirty tank will only get covered in crap again. Yes working on gravel sucks big time, I think it's like a boy scout badge we all get at one point or another. As the boys say pics are worth a thousand words. If you are worried about the roof, clean it off and give it a light sand and hit it with some primer. And yes some manuals are crap.
Hang in there and ask all the questions you want man, we will help if we can.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Welcome to the Forum
I havnt had a project like yours for a long time but from what everyone has told you and what you have responded with your on the right track. The nastys in the tank have to go first. Keep up the great progress.
OutlawCuda
Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Mopar Lover

Heck get her running first and drive it. Books and advice from here will help you a lot.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Mopar Lover

But that'd mean the whole rigamarole with registering and insuring - and that means she HAS to pass a smog test here first. I was hoping to put that off for awhile :P
Where do you live?

Quick Reply: New and need help - Cordoba