What aftermarket gauges should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What aftermarket gauges should i buy?

Hey guys, i need some help on the subject of what gauges i should use.
I know NOTHING about gauge selection other than how "cool" they look. I have a 72 dart swinger, and i am just about finished with the interior. I am purchasing an aftermarket gauge/instrument panel from fast lane west and it has room for 6 gauges, speedo, tach, and 4 more, prob fuel, oil, water, and volts. I love the way the autometer carbon fiber or even the ultra lite gauges look but i have no clue if i need all electrical or mechanical short sweep vs. full sweep, etc... any advice from someone who has used after market gauges in their mopar would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Personally, I like the mechanical guages, less chance of anything going wrong with them, and they are more accurate in my opinion. I like Autometer, and if you're patient and don't want to pay full price, you can find a deal on them on e-bay. Just make sure that if you buy them one at a time, that you get all matching guages, re size, color, face look, etc. If you have any questions about a particular guage that the seller can't answer, you can always take the guage number, hit the Summit site, plug that number into thier search engine, and get all the specs on it.

I just got a full set of Autometer from there, one piece at a time, ultralite, 2 1/16th size, cept for the speedo and tach, for less than $300 total.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i like the electric guages
with mechanicals, especially with oil, you always run the risk of a leak
Old 05-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Mopar Fanatic

lmao threw the speedo out thats awesome !! I like to drive by engine speed not road speed myself also ..... I run nothing but Autometer Pro-Comp liquid filled mechanical full sweep gauges 2 5/8" and 5" speedo / tach with recall & shift light, same set up for the last 10 years and only 1 problem, like 67 GTX said the risk of an oil leak is there and thats just what happened to a dash mounted oil psi gauge, what a mess and thank god there was no carpet in the car. replaced the plastic line they give you with a steel braided line and I have never had a problem since ... and yes it looks over kill but at 30k for my motor and running in Super Gas / Super Comp ya want some insurance for your investment

Old 05-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
BuckNeccid is right, you can find a hell of a good deal, I got a 5"monster tach for $30. Ill just add that make sure that any thing electronic you might buy will work with what ever sensors you have sending. You wouldn't want a fuel gauge that reads 3/4 when your out of gas.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Buffalojoe426
BuckNeccid is right, you can find a hell of a good deal, I got a 5"monster tach for $30. Ill just add that make sure that any thing electronic you might buy will work with what ever sensors you have sending. You wouldn't want a fuel gauge that reads 3/4 when your out of gas.
How right you are on the sensor being correct ... long walk to the gas staition most times