Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

440 compresson / ally head question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
440 compresson / ally head question

Hi guys
Wonder if you can help with some compression / heads related queries.

The motor is a Jensen with a mopar 440. The block is a stock recon block from the US (the company said it was in the range of 9.1 - 9.5 compression). I have just fitted headers and an eddy performer plus cam + a pair of Edelbrock RPM heads(84cc) that I bought on my last trip over state side.
The engine details:
bore: 4.350 (been rebored)
stroke: 3.750
head vol: 84cc
deck clearance: 0.09 - 0.1 (down the hole)
gasket thickness: 0.038

On the summit compression calculator this is coming out as a compression ratio 8.93. However, since my last trip I see edebock have brought out a set of e-street heads with 75cc volume. This would clearly increase my compression to 9.6.

So to the questions (sorry if they sound dumb - I'm not mopar expert)

Do you people think that I should stick with the rpm head 84cc heads or go for the new 75cc (I'm in the states next month and so can pick up a pair). Do you guys think the increase in compression worth the trade off in cc?
I'm not looking for super car, just a decent pull off the line (lots of torque). I also don't have the time to pull the block and change the pistons which I know is the best way to increase compression.

I also have considered fitting a steel shim gasket. I have a pair of 0.016 thick gaskets sitting on the shelf here. Do folks think it is worth the effort? Based on the summit calculator if I went for the small cc heads and steel gasket this would put my compression in the 10:1 range.
That feels quiet a big uplift but would be interested in anyone's views if I what I currently have will hit the mark (the car is stripped of it's interior and paint so wont be drivable for another few months - and therefore I can't test drive.

Appreciated your advice
Many thanks, Alex in the UK
Old 10-27-2012, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry - posted in wrong category

Sorry - posted in wrong category - have reposted in engine section.