Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mopar Muscle Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mopar Muscle Magazine

So I am reading my Mopar Mag December 2014 and they have an article on pg # 26 called (Regular guy 440) And I am thinking if I do the upgrades they are talking about to my car I can actually get up @ about 535+ hp on my 440, I already have the .030 bored and I found the paper work when I had my engine worked on and it does show it is a 10:1 compression, Now it talks about using a Edelbrock Single Plane Victor intake manifold & Edelbrock RPM cylinder aluminum heads...With what it shows in the article I am pretty excited to do this to my 440 and see what it does.
Has any one read the article?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
if i remember right chrysler did NOT build a stock 440 to 500 HP. so if you do you are in an range that needs expert knowledge. but you can do it. details, details, details. and you will be fine.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by raycan2
So I am reading my Mopar Mag December 2014 and they have an article on pg # 26 called (Regular guy 440) And I am thinking if I do the upgrades they are talking about to my car I can actually get up @ about 535+ hp on my 440, I already have the .030 bored and I found the paper work when I had my engine worked on and it does show it is a 10:1 compression, Now it talks about using a Edelbrock Single Plane Victor intake manifold & Edelbrock RPM cylinder aluminum heads...With what it shows in the article I am pretty excited to do this to my 440 and see what it does.
Has any one read the article?

Many of these magazines are sponsored by the people that sell these aftermarket components. Their aims are often to exaggerate claims in order to sell components. You can probably reach that level of hp with proper cams, proper heads, headers, single plane manifolds, increased compression ratio, but there may be a big price to pay in drivability and fuel economy. Not to mention reliability (with aluminum heads, if you overheat your engine for whatever reason, you will likely have to replace head gaskets).

I saw some recent articles on some Mopar magazines on "upgrades" on suspension systems. I am not sure why on earth anybody would want to "upgrade" the torsion bar suspension with coil springs, but it was all advertised. I recall a similar "upgrade" that was advertised on old Volvos, and it proved a disaster, far worse handling than the stock ones.

I would take these aftermarket adds with a grain of salt. Think before you start spending your money, and upsetting what you already have ...
Old 10-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey

Originally Posted by demetri
Many of these magazines are sponsored by the people that sell these aftermarket components. Their aims are often to exaggerate claims in order to sell components. You can probably reach that level of hp with proper cams, proper heads, headers, single plane manifolds, increased compression ratio, but there may be a big price to pay in drivability and fuel economy. Not to mention reliability (with aluminum heads, if you overheat your engine for whatever reason, you will likely have to replace head gaskets).

I saw some recent articles on some Mopar magazines on "upgrades" on suspension systems. I am not sure why on earth anybody would want to "upgrade" the torsion bar suspension with coil springs, but it was all advertised. I recall a similar "upgrade" that was advertised on old Volvos, and it proved a disaster, far worse handling than the stock ones.

I would take these aftermarket adds with a grain of salt. Think before you start spending your money, and upsetting what you already have ...
Yea you are right, I am always looking forward to my winter project here in Wyoming, Winters are long..This winter the rear end is one project and wiring harness and maybe the Heads...