Plymouth Barracuda 1965 - 67 notch back

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plymouth Barracuda 1965 - 67 notch back

Hi, greetings from "across the pond" in Bonnie Scotland" UK. Just joined and seeking some general advice with the view to purchasing a Plymouth Barracuda. Ideally I would be looking for a good original low mileage car either 1965 - 67, Notch Back or fast back with sensible mods/upgrades. I currently own a 66 Mustang coupe which would have to go, should I decide on a Barracuda. Just looking for general advice on what to look out for and what to avoid etc. Living in the UK one of my main concerns would be parts availability either NOS or repro. I have never had any problems with mustang parts. Just wondering how easy it would be to get basic serviceable parts like oil filters, gasgets, wheel bearings, break parts, timing chains etc. What is the dealer network like for spares? Also, my Mustang currently sits in quite a small garage so can anyone tell me what the size difference would be? At this moment in time, I have never actually seen a Barracuda in the flesh. Only in adverts and yutube clips. There are a great number of American classic cars and trucks in the UK but not so many Barracudas around. So guys, if anyone would care to give me their take on whether I should swap the Mustang for a Barracuda, it would be good to hear your comments. I would love to keep them both but current finances say no. I have owned the mustang for 5 years and it has proved to be a very reliable car. Only main change has been to swap the original carb for a Holly 4 barrel. I know its bit of a general question, but are there any major reliability issues with Barracudas? Best regards Gary Young
Old 06-11-2020, 05:25 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
just a few stats on the cudas - 64 - 66 were all a fast back body - 106 in wheel base and body length of 188 inches - all had 6 cyl or a block ( small ) 273 v8 - the 67 was a body change ( 2nd generation )
that year grew 2 in in wheel base and had 6 cyl - small blocks and 383 big blocks and came in notch back - fast back - and convert. body styles -- I hade a 65 with the 273 small block - great car - I wold have another if I could find one at a good price - Im a mopar guy - am building a 1922 roadster pick up based on a 22 roadster - Dodge never built a pick up in 22 but I am - you can see pics on my home page - any other questions I may be able to answer - feel free to ask - jack
Old 06-12-2020, 07:38 AM

Hi Jack, thanks for the info. In general are the fastbacks more sought after than the notch backs with corresponding prices. Whats the story with parts? Are they easy to get? In your opinion is there one particular year/model which is better than the other. Was your 65 a good reliable motor. Did you have any issues with it? Would there be any problem areas I should be looking out for? I will probably be aiming for the V8 small block option. Gary
Old 06-12-2020, 04:12 PM
Mopar Fan

Mine was a 65 - 273 formula s - which was a solid lifter - 4bbl - larger factor cam than the 2bbl models - the 6 cyl were all what is considered bullet proof -the largest being 225 cid - lots of after market parts for that engine - headers - 4 bbl intakes - cams - chrome dress up parts - most made by a company called Clifford - lots of after market parts for all the small block mopar engines too- I preferred the 66/67 bodies because of the grills and tail lights - the 67 fast back was a lot more plentiful than the notch back or convert. and any of the big blocks in that year are really hard to find and cost a bunch... A person could find a valiant 64 thru 66 convert. and built a clone of the cuda from cuda parts and have a 64 thru 66 cuda convert. same goes for a 2 door body to build a 64 - 66 notch back clone - if they were so inclined. I would stay away from any that had a push button dash mounted shifting mech due to the difficulty in getting them adjusted - not that they are bad but I have had a rough time getting them to shift properly on demand - but thats just me. - the 64 - 66 used a small bolt pattern for the wheels - but can be converted to a latter model standard pattern which I would suggest for easy brake parts and wheel selection. the back glass on the 64 - 66 is expensive so find one with the glass intact if possible -- all parts for 67 year model are higher dollar because that year was so popular with drag racers. --- jack
Old 06-13-2020, 03:53 AM

Hi Jack, I have been looking at this car which is for sale in the UK. It would be good to get your thoughts on this one. Here is the link. Regards Gary.

https://musclecar.uk/classic-cars/pl...v8-coupe-auto/
Old 06-13-2020, 08:02 PM
Mopar Fan

nice ride - no doubt worth the price - jack