Timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Timing chain

Can some one help me on setting the timing chain..on the big sprocket the little dot should be @ the 6:00 position and on the small sprocket where do I position it. On mine I have a small dot that I have position @ 12:00 then going clock wise @ about 3:00 I have another slot that has the letter R over it then the next slot has the letter A over it then it goes to the next which has a DOT over it..
Hope the picture shoes it well.

Now the other question is when I do put it on do I need to find TDC on # 1 piston or how do I set it?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Mopar Fanatic

hey

Or is it the 0 that is on the out side part of the sprocket that is between the Slot with the A and the slot with the dot that I should have @ 12:00 position?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
if my brain is remembering right aliening the timing chain marks has NOTHING to do with ignition timing set to #1. time to push the brain again. the three slots one is headsup. one is 2 degrees retarded. one is 2 degrees advanced. the 2 degrees advanced tips the torque curve shifting more towards the lower RPM range. it does NOT five you more torque it just shifts it. for street the 2 degrees advanced is good. do NOT try to mod one to 6 degrees advanced. dont ask. so if i am wrong please help. my brain does not remember well some times. thanks.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
That small zero at the groove is not it. The cam at 6:00, the crank at 12:00 either the larger 0, A or R so the groove (keyway) is at the 1:30ish spot.

https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/4...sprockets-606/
Old 08-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
that is the BEST pic i have seen. thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Talking about my pictures.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 878 Likes on 857 Posts
put the piston on TDC first.....
The crank key should be somewhere around 1 o'clock....
Then you can connect the dots....

Bring us back a picture.... Will tell you if it's rite....
Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerHog
put the piston on TDC first.....
The crank key should be somewhere around 1 o'clock....
Then you can connect the dots....

Bring us back a picture.... Will tell you if it's rite....
THIS

On these multi key sprockets, there should be matching marks for the timing marks and the key. That is, if you are going to put it "straight up" as per factory, at "0" then use the "O" mark for timing, and there should be a matching "0" at the appropriate keyway.

Various other marks have and are used depending on the manufacturer of the cam drive. A triangle might be used for one key and a square for the other, advanced or retarded from "factory" depending.

EDIT---I see this one uses A for advanced and R for retard

You can see the "O" mark three teeth "troughs" to the CCW (left) of what you have now. When correctly set to "O," The "O" marked keyway will be on the crank, and the "O" to the left of the keyway will be straight up

IF you know the specs of your cam, you SHOULD learn to and perform "degree the cam". There are many websites, instructions, and videos on the web. Just about all the popular cam manufacturers have them on their websites.

Summit has a cam degree kit for ?? 80 bucks?? that is perfectly adequate

So I was off on the price a few bucks, LOL

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1056

The hole in this degree wheel is a perfect fit for Mopar crank bolts. Just get some great big flat washers to "space" the crank bolt and you can clamp it right to the front of the crank.

Last edited by 440roadrunner; 08-18-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
THIS

On these multi key sprockets, there should be matching marks for the timing marks and the key. That is, if you are going to put it "straight up" as per factory, at "0" then use the "O" mark for timing, and there should be a matching "0" at the appropriate keyway.

Various other marks have and are used depending on the manufacturer of the cam drive. A triangle might be used for one key and a square for the other, advanced or retarded from "factory" depending.

You can see the "O" mark three teeth "troughs" to the CCW (left) of what you have now. When correctly set to "O," The "O" marked keyway will be on the crank, and the "O" to the left of the keyway will be straight up

IF you know the specs of your cam, you SHOULD learn to and perform "degree the cam". There are many websites, instructions, and videos on the web. Just about all the popular cam manufacturers have them on their websites.

The hole in this degree wheel is a perfect fit for Mopar crank bolts. Just get some great big flat washers to "space" the crank bolt and you can clamp it right to the front of the crank.
yea next time I rebuild a motor I am gonna get one for sure...I have read a little on them and its a small price to pay..being that its my first iam buying tools as I need them and this is one I skipped.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 878 Likes on 857 Posts
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
THIS

You are rite....It should read the (O) and the (Dot).... I stand corrected..
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
The 0 with the key-way is O deg THAT is the position for the crank key way -- then the other 0 mark should be at 12