1964 Dodge Polara 500 426 Hurst 4spd All Original

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1964 Dodge Polara 500 426 Hurst 4spd All Original

My brother has decided to bypass eBay on this one and will sell it via other avenues.

This car is actually my brothers and I'm just doing what I can to help him sell it.

The car is a numbers matching, unmolested Polara 500 426 Street Wedge car.

He has the original broadcast sheet and fender tag with the car.

The VIN is: 6442165430

The broadcast sheet is as follows:

Line: N
Production Job No. 5288
Shipping Order No. 01090247
Pinion 58
Axle 52
Spring 20
WHL 3
PLT 2
Model 642
Paint DD
Style 1
Trim P4B
Acc. GRP #1: 1
Acc. GRP #8: 8
Trans.:3
Power Brakes: 2
Radio: 1
Air Cond. Heater: 5
Front Air Foam: 2
Rear Air Foam: 3
Line item 414: 4
Padded Dash: 5
Rear Arm Rest: 8
Right Sun Visor: 9
Clock: 1
B.U. Lites: 3
Windshield Washer: 8
??? Wipers: 9
Glass: 2
Mirror ????: 2
Engines: 14
Axle: 3
Tires: 23
Battery: 4
Under Coat: 1
Floor Mats: 4
NCS Sold Finish: 2
Route: 20
Engine: 371
Trans: 43
Rad: 72
Prop Shaft: 27

Fender Tag is as follows:

A3 B2 F1 H5 M3 N8 Q1 R4 T4 W2

SO 0109
Number 0247
BDY 642
TRM P4B
PNT DD

You can also check out more photos of the car here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3308814...th/3081147429/

His cell number is 618-615-2011 and you can also email him at briancongiardo@yahoo dot com.

Here is a description of the car for sale.

"This auction is for a 1964 Dodge Polara 500 with a 426 Street Wedge, backed by the Chrysler 4 speed A-833 transmission.

The 426 Street Wedge was built for two years, 1964-1965, and was available by Chrysler in a wide range of models. It was intended to be a detuned street version
of their fire-breathing Max-Wedge engine. Standard equipment for this engine was the single Carter AFB 4 Bbl. carburetor, and the dress-up package which included a chrome air cleaner, chrome valve covers, chrome oil filler/breather cap, and chrome PCV cover (all of which are still present on this engine). The four speed transmission came with a factory Hurst shifter and white shift ball (still present). The dependable Chrysler 8 3/4" rear differential finished out the drive train on this car.

In 1964, the Polara 500 option package included bucket seats, console, and unique side and interior trim. This particular car was also optioned out with power brakes, front sway bar, dual exhaust, rear speaker, AM radio, windshield washers, and a two-tone blue interior and exterior.

I have owned this car approximately eleven years, having purchased it from the original owner. I did have the original (actual 1964 paper) title to this car when I bought it, but in the State of Illinois eye's, I was not able to keep it. Even after a lengthy conversation with the DMV personnel, and a detailed letter sent with the original title explaining why I needed the original title back (even if torn in two or stamped "void"), they still refused to send the original papers back to me. So, in short, this car has a current State of Illinois title issued to myself, but I do not have the original 1964 title any longer.

The story of this car is quite unique. In 1963, a young gentleman (let's call him "Bob") walked into Bockhorn Motors to order a 1964 Dodge. After filling out the order form, the salesman made one of his first sales, this Polara 500. The car took an unusually long time to arrive, but when it did, "Bob" was there to pick it up. Soon, "Bob" got behind enough on his payments that the bank was going to take his car back. His mother having co-signed for the car originally, took the car from him. She used the car for daily transportation, as she worked in one of the neighboring towns at the nursing home. Sometime in the late 1960's, she took note of the new Dodges running around that were B-5 blue, and decided that was the color for her. She had the car re-painted in B-5 around this time (some of the original blue can be seen on the lower section of firewall), accounting for the incorrect shade of blue.

Fast-forward to 1996, and the family has returned to the area to auction off the belongings of the mother as she was now being placed in the nursing home. They opened up the garage door to find the old Dodge still there (with 1978 tags on it). It was bought at the auction by "Bob" after all of these years. The title was still the original one issued to him (with his mothers name as a co-signer) so he never re-titled it.

I came into the picture around this time, and purchased the car from "Bob". He is the one who filled me in on the car's history, and it has remained unmolested in every way through the years. The original wiring has never been cut to install a radio (or anything). The sheet metal is not rusted anywhere. The floor pans, rockers, fender aprons, trunk floor, trunk extensions, frame rails, hood, doors, fenders, trunk lid, are all rust free. One 1/8" diameter rust spot in the trunk floor, on the driver's side, exists. This is a VERY solid car. All of the trim is present and in "very good" to "excellent" condition. No door dings or shopping cart scrapes are there. The 500 option included "engine turned" inserts in the side spear trim pieces and these inserts are in excellent condition. The grill is excellent, with no bent bars, or stone dings. The headlight surrounds, being cast pot-metal, do have some slight pitting, but it is very minor. The taillight panel on the 500 was another unique piece, and the passenger side cast surround has a hairline crack in it running vertically between the lights. The rear bumper has a few minor dents in it, but the front bumper is better. All of the glass is in excellent condition with the exception of one spot on the windshield. On the morning I picked the car up from "Bob", his young grandson had shot the car with a BB gun. In one of the pictures I posted, you can see the little chip he put in the outer layer of glass. This upset me quite a bit, as I had already paid for the car the previous day, and other than that, the windshield was as good as NOS. Since it had been stored indoors it's entire life the glass did not have any of the "fog" that happens as the plastic lamination in the windshield separates. On top of the front fenders of the '64 Dodges, there were two plastic inserts (one per side) with a Dodge emblem in them, As most of these pieces do, they are hazed and cracked, but reproductions are available. The hubcaps are in excellent condition, and there are three extras with the car. An extra set of headlight surrounds are included, as well as extra parking lights. I also have a correct date code dual-point distributor included, as the car is currently running with a single-point (it had the single-point put on it by the dealership after they had issues with the original dual-point). I went through this car shortly after purchasing it and rebuilt the brakes. A new master cylinder, and all new wheel cylinders and linings were installed. The brakes work perfectly, and the original master cylinder is included. I installed a new set of tires, and they have less than 200 miles on them. New shocks have also been installed. The car currently has a new Edelbrock (Carter) carburetor on it, but the original carburetor is included. A new Carter mechanical fuel pump was installed, and the original is included. As previously mentioned, all of the original engine chrome is present, but some of it is peeling. The interior is in very good condition. The rear seats have a tear on the upper section, directly under the rear glass, on each side. The front seats have no tears at all.The original Hurst shifter and white shift ball are present and in excellent condition. The original radio and factory rear speaker both work. All of the gauges work. All of the lights, except for the reverse lights, work. The in-dash clock worked up until this year, and I did not investigate it any. The car starts, runs, and drives (in fact it handles very well, much better than my '66 big block Charger), but the clutch is the original and it is getting weak. I keep current license and insurance on this car, and I do drive it on the occasional nice day.

I had always intended to pass this car down to my daughter some day, but due to me getting into another hobby I am selling this car. If you are still reading this, you are more than likely not only a Mopar nut, but a fan of the '62-'65 cars.You probably know that there were not too many1964 426 Street Wedge Polara 500 4 speeds built, let alone left today. This is an incredibly original and unmolested car to have in your collection. I have tried to be as descriptive as possible, and welcome any questions you may have."

Last edited by cognitive77; 01-23-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice car..Why do I have to be broke...lol
Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would love to have that car