Member's Rides This section is for the members to show off their vehicles. Please read the rules before posting!!

1964 Dart GT, Anniversary Convertible, 225 /6 daily driver unrestored

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1964 Dart GT, Anniversary Convertible, 225 /6 daily driver unrestored

(Seeking advice on what price this Dart might be worth)
Howdy, I bought this Dart in 1993 from a fellow who brought it up from Santa Barbara (I tried to contact the first owner but she was deceased). It was my third /6 car, and I was glad to finally find everything I wanted, in a convertible. When I first bought the Dart, it was running on only 5 cylinders, so a friend helped me to take apart the top of the engine and fix it, I also got the valves hardened while we were in there. It came with barely any c-top on it, just rags flapping in the breeze, so the first winter I put an old army canvas on it, screwed it on just like I would have a real top, and drove it around like I was camping.
The next summer I worked on the top, had to weld back on one of the top frame's 'ribs', and found a front top-header in decent condition at the junkyard, then a friend and I put the new off-white top on ourselves. I have kept all my receipts on mechanical work since '93, I keep an eye on the rust and attack it every year or so. Its not a perfect car, it has a few dents, and some small rust, and then there are a few places where I sanded and painted it with Krylon...which is better than letting it rust, but is not very professional looking. I replaced the white top with a black one in 2009 (I replaced it with a few friends), because some drunken fool put his foot through the top while running over my car while it was parked by the University, arghhhh!
My Dart is very reliable, it only stops when I forget to put gas in it (the gas gauge is not perfect) or the battery dies, but I generally stay within my AAA 100 mile towing radius just in case....it always starts on the third try.
It has so many miles on it, on the original engine, (the odometer has gone around and its not telling the truth anymore- wait I double checked that with my mechanic, we think its got around 80k on the original engine). Its all original, it has the old interior upholstery under the sheepskin covers, but it needs re-upholstering. The floorboards and trunk floor I keep rust free & krylon-ed with yearly efforts.
I have had it quite a while, and wish I could keep it forever, but I am not a restorer so I am considering letting it go sometime in the future...I want it to go to a local person who is going to restore it, so I can see again. If you have any insight into what I might ask for it, please comment. Thanks ~A
Attached Thumbnails 1964 Dart GT, Anniversary Convertible, 225 /6 daily driver unrestored-dart64driversside2012.jpg   1964 Dart GT, Anniversary Convertible, 225 /6 daily driver unrestored-dart64passside2012.jpg   1964 Dart GT, Anniversary Convertible, 225 /6 daily driver unrestored-dart64frontside.jpg   1964 Dart GT, Anniversary Convertible, 225 /6 daily driver unrestored-dart64rear2012.jpg  

Last edited by Arcadiax; 03-13-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: mileage was wrong
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
You should see what other cars simular to your Dart are going for in about the same condition. That will be the best way to decide how much to ask for it. Do as much work as you can to make it presentable but remember that you'll never get back what you've put into it.