Member's Rides This section is for the members to show off their vehicles. Please read the rules before posting!!

1977 Yellow Blaze Plymouth Volare' 225 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1977 Yellow Blaze Plymouth Volare' 225 coupe

50K all-original barn find!
Attached Thumbnails 1977 Yellow Blaze Plymouth Volare' 225 coupe-77volarepics-020x.jpg   1977 Yellow Blaze Plymouth Volare' 225 coupe-77volarepics-012x.jpg   1977 Yellow Blaze Plymouth Volare' 225 coupe-77volarepics-007x.jpg   1977 Yellow Blaze Plymouth Volare' 225 coupe-77volarepics-003x.jpg   1977 Yellow Blaze Plymouth Volare' 225 coupe-77volarepics-001x.jpg  

Old 09-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
That's so clean, too clean for a barn find nice car.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
That car is extremely clean.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 80 Likes on 80 Posts
very nice
Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 PM

okay, not a barn...it was a garage. But it's hasn't seen much road time in the last 33 years. I think it has mostly been parked for the last 10-15 years.

Up next: factory rally wheels and Goodrich T/A radials.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
It's screaming for a 360! Can't ya hear it.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks pretty rust free (looking at lower rear quarters) good find!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:27 AM

Hey 78doubleR, I live just over the hill in Sandy! This car was on the local CL most of the summer, but the old guy wasn't willing to sell it to anyone he didn't like, so I had to go through a bit of a courtship with the family before he 'let' me buy it.

This car is scary original. The plastic lenses are clear, uncracked and unfogged. The windshield has essentially no wind abrasion. The trunk lid still has the jacking instructions, and the underside of the trunk lid looks brand new. All the door seals are still nice and soft. And as you noticed, there is no rust on this car. Story is that the owner just drove it to the store and back, and only occasionally (she was within walking distance). She only took it on one extended trip, to Seattle (from Portland).

It needs all the stuff you would expect for a car that is 34-years original. Adjusted valves; flush, fill and replace all hoses and belts; new battery; new exhaust; new plugs; new shocks all around; drivers door sags a little, so will repin and rebush the hinges. Flushed the brake lines, the fluid was the color of coffee. Front rotors needed to be turned, and had one collapsed front hose. Then finally, new tires all around (with the aforementioned rally rims).

BTW, have you seen that orange F-body on Powell St? In front of a body shop, I think.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldja look at that! thats a nice ride for sure. like the folding rear seat! and especially the slant six!

woudja look at this!? lol reminds me of this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF8GhC-T_Mo

I assume you are gonna keep it just the way it is. cause its pretty much perfect
Old 10-08-2011, 05:03 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
That is a beautiful car, BUT you have the wrong hub caps on it I have the correct ones how many would you like
Old 10-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by edselehr
Hey 78doubleR, I live just over the hill in Sandy! This car was on the local CL most of the summer, but the old guy wasn't willing to sell it to anyone he didn't like, so I had to go through a bit of a courtship with the family before he 'let' me buy it.

This car is scary original. The plastic lenses are clear, uncracked and unfogged. The windshield has essentially no wind abrasion. The trunk lid still has the jacking instructions, and the underside of the trunk lid looks brand new. All the door seals are still nice and soft. And as you noticed, there is no rust on this car. Story is that the owner just drove it to the store and back, and only occasionally (she was within walking distance). She only took it on one extended trip, to Seattle (from Portland).

It needs all the stuff you would expect for a car that is 34-years original. Adjusted valves; flush, fill and replace all hoses and belts; new battery; new exhaust; new plugs; new shocks all around; drivers door sags a little, so will repin and rebush the hinges. Flushed the brake lines, the fluid was the color of coffee. Front rotors needed to be turned, and had one collapsed front hose. Then finally, new tires all around (with the aforementioned rally rims).

BTW, have you seen that orange F-body on Powell St? In front of a body shop, I think.
Stop by sometime! Send me a pm and ill give you my address... funny story about the orange road runner that sits in front of Chris's car care... thats my dads car, he goes by rrrt63 on here lol. but yeah man stop by sometime and check out our f-body collection and id like to check your car out too!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:59 PM

62Furious, thanks for the offer of higher-line wheel covers (the dog dishes just don't quite cut it). BUT, I really like the nerdy originality of those black rims and small caps, and if I were to put on full wheel covers it would scratch up the inner rims, and these wheels have *never* seen full wheelcovers so are almost perfect. That's why I decided to go with (and was lucky enough to find) a set of rally wheels. When the rally wheels go on, the black steel rims and hubcaps will get carefully stored away and stay with the car.

The only other upgrade I want to do with the Volare is to trade out the AM radio for a factory AM/FM unit. I don't want stereo because I don't want to cut in any new speakers. I assume the non-stereo AM/FM unit will connect up to the dash speaker the same way the AM radio does. Ahem...anyone have a nice AM/FM they are willing to let go?

78doubleR, I'll look up your shop and try to stop by once the Volare is rolling again! I just got my carb back from Merle's Carburetor in Portland - I was surprised recently to find him still in business! Three years ago he was dead set to retire, but it seems the economic crash blew a hole in his retirement account, so he's still at it. So as of now he's the only game in town for a top-notch, plug-and-play carb rebuild. He hates working on junk carbs, but my 50,000 mile Holley 1945 was still in pretty nice shape, so he didn't mind doing the work on it. For the sake of originality I'll stick with the 1945 for now (though it has a dubious reputation). In the meantime, I'll start collecting the parts for a Super Six swap.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Mopar Lover

Lookin good. I love that fold down back seat
Old 10-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Trick it out with wheels and such but keep the 6 cyl
Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Mopar Fanatic

sounds good edselehr. just give me a call before ya head over. you can find my address on google if you search for my business name.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM

That's the plan TVLynn. I"ll post up some new pictures when the new wheels and tires are mounted up. I'm finishing up sandblasting the wheels tonight...I'm a lot closer to having the car reshod than I thought I would be at this point. Getting excited to see what she looks like without the stock steel rims and dog dishes.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 AM

Very nice man. burn up the road
Old 10-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's an insanely clean, unmolested car. I bet there aren't very many finds like that left. Big block with some quiet exhaust and it would be a killer sleeper.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 PM

It's really hard to do too much swapping out on a car like this. I happen to like slant sixes, so I don't mind leaving the drive train stock. But I did put the new rally wheels with BFG RWL Radial T/A's on one side of the car tonight, and man does that look nice. (Local CarQuest was low on chrome lugnuts, so I'll pick up more tomorrow and get the other two mounted). I can totally see this car with the burble of a V8 coming out the tailpipe, but for now it's staying stock.

Speaking of stock (and I've asked this question before), does anyone have a line on a nice factory AM/FM unit for an F-body? The factory AM radio in this car works perfectly, but I'm missing all the good cruising music playing on the FM band. Not interested in an AM/FM stereo unit, because I don't want to cut in any additional speakers.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I may have an am/fm factory radio. let me look and ill get back to ya!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 PM

Wow 78doubleR, thanks for looking into that. Right now I'm dealing with carb problems (that dreaded Holley 1945 1bbl) which I decided to have rebuilt since it was such a nice not-worn-out carb. If the Carb wasn't back at the shop getting reinspected, I'd be driving the Volare over your way this week.

In the meantime, check out how this car looks with RWL tires and factory rally wheels.
Attached Thumbnails 1977 Yellow Blaze Plymouth Volare' 225 coupe-rally1x.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Any updates bro?? Would like to meet up with you sometime in the near future. I think i saw your car at boring u-pull-it a couple weeks ago.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
I would change the front disc calipers..I would hate for you to be out on the road and have one lock up on you. The wheels look good...make sure you check out mine also.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:52 PM

The Volare is back in the garage... I finally figured out the rough running problem (I had the valve lash just a hair too tight, running much better now), finally got all the coolant leaks nailed down (had to rebuild the entire cooling system) then the other day as I was backing out of the garage - pop! I lose reverse! Those A904 Torqueflytes have never given me a lick of trouble before, so I never imagined this one would either, but it looks like I broke the reverse band. So it's up on ramps in the garage, waiting till I have a long afternoon to drop the tranny and see what's going on. I took a peek under there after I got it up on ramps - man, that tranny is clean and dry, no evidence of any leaking. I'm continually blown away by how original and clean this car is.

So you'll have to wait a bit to see it, unless you want to stop by my place in Sandy.

BTW, I replaced the front brake hoses (one had collapsed) and cleaned up the calipers. Are you worried they will stick as they slide in their brackets, or that the piston will stick in the bore?

Last edited by edselehr; 12-02-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by edselehr
The Volare is back in the garage... I finally figured out the rough running problem (I had the valve lash just a hair too tight, running much better now), finally got all the coolant leaks nailed down (had to rebuild the entire cooling system) then the other day as I was backing out of the garage - pop! I lose reverse! Those A904 Torqueflytes have never given me a lick of trouble before, so I never imagined this one would either, but it looks like I broke the reverse band. So it's up on ramps in the garage, waiting till I have a long afternoon to drop the tranny and see what's going on. I took a peek under there after I got it up on ramps - man, that tranny is clean and dry, no evidence of any leaking. I'm continually blown away by how original and clean this car is.

So you'll have to wait a bit to see it, unless you want to stop by my place in Sandy.

BTW, I replaced the front brake hoses (one had collapsed) and cleaned up the calipers. Are you worried they will stick as they slide in their brackets, or that the piston will stick in the bore?
Piston in bore. What happens is they rust after setting for a long time then they tend to stay stuck engaged when you apply the brakes.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Yeah, just rebuild em if you are worried about them. Rebuild kits cost roughly $5-6 a side and if you need a replacement piston their usually about the same, maybe a few bucks more. send me a PM with you name, address and phone number and ill see about coming out next weekend with my dad, may make him drive the roadrunner if the weather is decent.