1969 Plymouth 383

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1969 Plymouth 383

Hey everyone! I just bought a very nice Plymouth fury III. It's in great shape runs great. I was wondering what I could do to the stock 383 that came in it. I wanna do some work on it. I don't wan to make a dragster or any thin like thAt. I was thinking maybe like an extra hundred horse power. If you have suggestions on were to get the parts or have any ideas on what to do please let me know.

Thank you so much.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
how many miles are on it and are you going to rb the lower half
Old 09-05-2010, 03:01 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by challenger
how many miles are on it and are you going to rb the lower half
There is 201,000 miles on it right now. I plan on outing a manual tranny in it when I can find a good one for a good price any suggestions.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that is a lot of mileage
how much vacuum does the car have at idle?
Old 09-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by 67 GTX
that is a lot of mileage
how much vacuum does the car have at idle?
im not to sure about that gtx.... i only know how to do basic things with the motor like replacing parts. ive never really messed with electronics or anything like that in the cars. could you let me know what that means? i feel pretty noobish right now lol. this is my first classic car by the way. if my vacum you mean how much the airfilter hole thing sucks in then it does a little like i could put a piece of paper on it and it will stick sometimes. but if thats not what you mean then i feel dumb hahaha!

Last edited by NANNERPIEZ; 09-05-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Might want to start with some reading first. Before anything, you need to assess the general health of the motor. Compression test, and cylinder leakdown test. Just going by the mileage alone, I would recommend a rebuild in your future, before adding any go-fast goodies. I'm afraid you'd just be wasting gaskets by adding anything to it at this time.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by scotts74birds
Might want to start with some reading first. Before anything, you need to assess the general health of the motor. Compression test, and cylinder leakdown test. Just going by the mileage alone, I would recommend a rebuild in your future, before adding any go-fast goodies. I'm afraid you'd just be wasting gaskets by adding anything to it at this time.
Thanks for the input I really appreciate it. What rebuild kit would you recomend? I have a chilton manual on the way for research and reading lol. And after the rebuild what would you recomend? I don't really know much about this motor at all. The only other motor I have worked on was a chevy 327. Anything you have to add would he great. And again your advice is always welcome thank you so much.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Try this.

"Knowledge is power! Free your mind, and you *** will follow!"
Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 AM
Mopar Fanatic

My stepfather's car was an old Fury III with a 383 in it. I remember long family trips across the southwest, and sweating in the summer time as it had no A/C. I accidentally left a Sugar Daddy candy on the rear sill, which the sun quickly baked into it.

The car died an untimely death when my he fell asleep driving on I-40 between Barstow and Needles California. The car went off the road and had the undercarriage torn up by the rocks.

201k means that a good rebuild is in the works, if you are going to do something you might as well do it right. Rebuilding the engine and tranny will probably cost you less than what I paid for my last 2 car payments, and the car will then be ready for another 4 decades of service. You might as well get the suspension bushings and steering linkage replaced as well, so it will handle as new also.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Sangetsu
My stepfather's car was an old Fury III with a 383 in it. I remember long family trips across the southwest, and sweating in the summer time as it had no A/C. I accidentally left a Sugar Daddy candy on the rear sill, which the sun quickly baked into it.

The car died an untimely death when my he fell asleep driving on I-40 between Barstow and Needles California. The car went off the road and had the undercarriage torn up by the rocks.

201k means that a good rebuild is in the works, if you are going to do something you might as well do it right. Rebuilding the engine and tranny will probably cost you less than what I paid for my last 2 car payments, and the car will then be ready for another 4 decades of service. You might as well get the suspension bushings and steering linkage replaced as well, so it will handle as new also.
thanks so much I've been looking at rebuild kits to get for it and they are running about $500. I will most definetly be rebuilding it. Now all I need to do is find a cherry picker and a motor mount for a decent price haha. Thanks for the advice it is very appreciated.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
if i was you i would make sure you send the block out to a respected motor shop and send the pistons and cam with it and let them fit everything right the first time ,,, also the crank that way everything will be fitted for you and all you will have to do is put it together
some people will say na but it will last you a life time if done right the first time just make sure you get a good cam and send that one and not an old one k
Old 09-06-2010, 06:10 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by challenger
if i was you i would make sure you send the block out to a respected motor shop and send the pistons and cam with it and let them fit everything right the first time ,,, also the crank that way everything will be fitted for you and all you will have to do is put it together
some people will say na but it will last you a life time if done right the first time just make sure you get a good cam and send that one and not an old one k
YES!! That was something I was wanting to do asap was put a comp cam thumper cam in it. And I've got a good machine shop right down the road from me but I would like to do it my self to save some . I've got my chilton manual on the way right now and also the mopar big block book as well to help me. Thank you so much for your input.