71 charger has positive volt on either side of coil? wil not start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
71 charger has positive volt on either side of coil? wil not start?

Hi,
I am Rob from The Netherlands, and have been restoring the last two years a plum crazy 71 charger superbee. I almost completed resto, dropped in a rebuild 440 sixpack, connected everything except for the mufflers, and started it, it started right up and sounded great. in the next couple of days I started the car frequently, till it did not start anymore. I measured positive voltage on the coil and crown on both the positive and negative wire? Engine turns around, starter works, but no spark on plugs and no spark from coil. Also the headlights, radio and wiper works but the dome light does not switch of even when I disconnect the inner door switches, and the dash lights do not work? Whould anybody have a clue were to start looking? I restored everything, the wiring cables, new positive and negativ battery cables, I did not renew the ignition switch and the headlight switch.
Thanks for helping me out.
Rob.
p.s. for pics of restoration look at this link:
http://www.mopar.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7805
Old 07-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Mopar Fanatic

positive volts

The negative of the coil is SWITCHED off and on via the ECU. You may see positive volts on the negative measured to GRUOND. Check the ECU to be sure the case is grounde well at the mount.
If you put a jumper wire on the coil negative and tap-touch it to ground you should be able to produce a spark from the coil terminal while removed from the dist. to ground.
Your headlight switch could be bad causing the dome light to stay on and no dash lights.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks, rdrunner 74! I will try tomorrow, and I will post if it works.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Engine starts again!

Thanks again Roadrunner74, the ecu was not grounded right. Started straight away with new groundstrap.