'73 Plymouth Duster Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'73 Plymouth Duster Help

Hey everybody, i've been trying to get myself a sweet muscle car for a while now, and i've recently came across a very promising looking Duster, not to far from where i live.
"1973 Plymouth Duster. 225 slant 6 engine, auto tranny, CD player. Runs good. Daily driver for son to school. Bucket seats. Rebuilt carb. New front end bushings, tires, heater core. Pretty cool car. Probably never see another like it."

This would be a summer/winter father/son project, and i think a promising first muscle car. I had looked at Chargers for a few years and just had a hard time dealing out the people wanted for questionable quality.
I've yet to go visit the car and test it out, and i stand at 6'6'' and around 250 lbs, and was curious if you all think i'll even manage to fit into it? Inseam of around 38

Also Dad and i are wanting to drop a 340 into it, or possibly a 383 and had concerns over if the tranny or rear end would need to be upgraded. I read that the 73s could come in 340 or the Twister, and until we get ##s from the car, i have no idea what it has but we believe it is all original.

Thanks for any help, we appreciate it!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

if its a 6 now if you drop a 340 in it you would need to put a small block tranny in it and a diiferent rear end.. if you go big block then you need a big block trans.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Mopar Fan

I had a 72 Duster for my 1st car.
It also had a slant 6. I should have known better to buy a car from a guy who warmed it up by driving around the block before I came over.
The next cold start, it revealed the rod knock.
I guess I didn't know everything at age 16.... haha
Oh well. 1985. $350.00 bucks.....

If you are thinking of changing the engine size to a small or big block V-8
the rear end will need to be changed. I suggest a 8 3/4 sure-grip.
Trust me on this because after putting a small block 318 into the car, the stock slant 6 equiped rear-end ring gear decided it couldn't handle the torque from doing brake stands and broke about 6 teeth. (Did I mention I was 16 at the time?)
While changing the rear, if you decide to make it a V-8 put in some 440/427 heavy duty rear leaf springs.

Actually if you are putting anything other than a stock slant 6 engine in you'll
need to change the k-frame to a V-8 style one or buy a slant 6 to small block adaptor
OR slant 6 to big block adaptor.
The transmission will need to be replaced. 727 is better but again if you put in a small block it needs the small block housing and big block need big blck housing.
Expect to buy or fabricate a different throttle and tranny linkages.
You will need to change your exhaust pipe(s)
You will need to change your driveline. depends on motor selection.

And as far as you fitting in the car, if it has bench seats, it should be OK but, bucket seats, you might hit your knees.

Check it out and tell us what happened.

Mopar_71.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Went and looked at it, the body i consider to be in great shape, with just a few dents, but nothing large, but my dad thinks its just in okay shape, he used to be a bodyman, and the paint is a 10 footer, up close it kinda looks like it was about 100$ worth, the original color was some sorta pale green, like that color. (made that face too) Its gonna need new weathering strips, the interior probably a dash, i would like new seats for it, it has bucket seats, but from like a KIA. . the majority of the work sounds like its going to be converting it to handle a 340.

In your opinion, would it be finacially wise to buy this for $1,700 and then convert it, or hold out and look for one that requires less work.

We are pretty sure that everything is stock in it.

Thanks for your help and Advice.
My first few cars have been 88 Lincoln Town Cars, and i've hit my fair share of things in those.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:05 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

i dont think 1700 is a bad price for a fair body. project car
Old 05-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Without seeing it I can't give a fair judgement. But if your Dad is a bodyman he will know if its worth the $ or not.... You are probably going to paint it anyway. So if its sound like you say I thingk it would be worth the price..... But listen to Dad.... He won't stear you wrong.......
Old 05-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Mopar Fan

1700.00 doesn't sound too bad but, it's going to cost you more than you might expect to convert that car to a V-8 from a slant 6.
Depending on your budget, a motor, tranny, mounts, exhaust, rear-end...... can add up quick.
Unless you want to learn how to convert a slant 6 to V-8... go for it!!
JMO, I'd find something that is already configured for a V-8 and what you really want rather than settling for something and then having to change it...

Good luck and I'm glad you are choosing a MOPAR!!!