Natural Gas Mopar

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Natural Gas Mopar

With the price of gasoline going higher and higher as we speak (there is probably someone changing the numbers to your local gas station as you read this), I was wondering if anyone has successfully built a natural gas powered Mopar? As I understand it, the price of natural gas is under a dollar a gallon. I think most anyone here would drive their big-block daily if fuel was less than a dollar a gallon.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Mopar Lover

There a are quite a few public transit buses that run on Natural Gas here on the east coast, but if you start fueling all vehicles, or a larger number of them with natural gas something will happen to spike that market so some people make more money. If this were to occur the areas that rely on natural gas will start having problems, and will definitely effect the economy.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Mopar Fan

Natural Gas

I saw 2 Civic GX's today - Factory Natural Gas cars. I just think it would be cool to have a natural gas hot rod Mopar as a daily driver.

True - if everyone went to natural gas, then "they" would just hike up the cost of that. Pretty sad.

But if you you count how many old mopars you saw on the road today, (I saw none) and further count how many natural gas mopars you have seen, (I wonder if one even exists), it is unlikely the price will go up.

I know a lot of people dump a lot of money into into their mopars with blowers, nitrous, and other parts. These people that spend tens of thousands on their mopars probably don't care about the cost of gasoline.

I came to the Mopar camp because Mopars were inexpensive and fun (more powerful). I am looking for ways to keep it that way.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I don't know how you can compart natural gas price "per litre"

Gasoline is obviously a liquid at the pressures and temps under which we normally find it, and can be priced and measured by weight or volume

LPG--what many call Propane-- is normally a combination of pressure and liquid, but is sold by weight or volume, and normally pressurized into liquid form

Natural gas, however is a completely different story. The normal temps under which we handle it make it a GAS--and the amount you get in pressurized gas form is going to depend on the PRESSURE of the gas in that container, as well as the volume of the container.

I doubt like heck that many of you are using it in LIQUID form, which requires special low-temp containers--think in terms of liquid oxygen.

It seems to me that the only "true" way to compare natural gas to other forms of fuel is "price per mile." I admit that I have no comparison data.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by gilesie
did the conversions and worked it out to what it would be in the same form

Now THAT makes a little more sense---so if I understand this, he figured whatever amount of ng it would take IF IT WAS reduced to liquid?

I had no idea it would be that inexpensive. Of course if a bunch of us jump onto this band wagon---then NG will go up in disarray as well!!