03 Ram truck 2500 , exhaust manifold opinions plz

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Ram truck 2500 , exhaust manifold opinions plz

I recently purchased a 03 ram truck 2500. 5.7 liter. The exhaust manifolds are in bad shape. One side has a small leak due to two of the studs rusted off. I am wondering if I should just repair the studs and fix what's there or replace it all now with new manifolds or headers. I am planning on keeping the truck and don't want future problems. My other ram never had any issues like this. Any advice is welcome. Any price is a factor.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Your in a rust area or the truck came from a rust area ? USE stock manifolds.. Depending which studs You may have to remove the cyl heads to fix the studs
Old 05-20-2013, 06:05 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
I too own the same model truck and I am on my third set of manifolds and the truck only has 40,000 miles on it. I went to headers ceramic coated stainless steel they bolted right in and increased by 2-3 mpg. and gave me a noticable power increase. If you remove the inner fenders it is an easy fix. Note: helicoil all your bolt holes as the bolt screw into raw aluminium. I used stainless steel. Gibson headers is what I used and am very pleased with there performance. Good luck its a piece of cake on a lift. Ive done tons of them in the dealership, manifolds are cheap but junk.
The following users liked this post:
Brian Grosshans (07-15-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 06:54 PM

thanks for your advice

I priced out manifolds versus headers. I dont want to do this twice. Looks like I am about 400 bucks to replace with new manifolds, studs and gaskets. Gibson SS, CC headers run about 500 plus new studs. I have never replaced manifolds before but am not scared to try, but is this a project for a skilled auto mechanic? I restore old tractors and do most of my own auto mantienence, brakes, oil changes, alternators, but I consider this easy stuff. I have no problems stepping back if I should let an expierienced mechanic tackle this. I want it done right.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 PM

I am in a rust area, Michigan. The truck is in excellent condition other than the manifolds. They get all the crap from the front tires. I have been thinking of a way to possibly seal off the engine compartment using the inner fender and close the gaps to the engine compartment. But thats later on.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by pro-tech
I too own the same model truck and I am on my third set of manifolds and the truck only has 40,000 miles on it. I went to headers ceramic coated stainless steel they bolted right in and increased by 2-3 mpg. and gave me a noticable power increase. If you remove the inner fenders it is an easy fix. Note: helicoil all your bolt holes as the bolt screw into raw aluminium. I used stainless steel. Gibson headers is what I used and am very pleased with there performance. Good luck its a piece of cake on a lift. Ive done tons of them in the dealership, manifolds are cheap but junk.
I am in the process of putting headers on my truck. I got all the bolts out but three. I was wondering if you removed the heads to heli cool the bolt holes, and if not how did you drill the heads? Thx?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Mopar Lover

I used an angle drill with left handed drill bits. If the bolt is rusted to a point grind it flat to have a better surface to center punch on. Alot of times if you drill with a 1/8 drill bit for the pilot hole and step it up to 1/4" and give it a quick push so it bites in. The bolt will back out with the drill. I also used SS bolts and heilicoils, Its been 3 years maybe 4 since I did mine and they show no signs of rust at all. Good luck... take your time and think it through you'll be fine...Bill
The following users liked this post:
Brian Grosshans (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM

I used an angle drill with left handed drill bits. If the bolt is rusted to a point grind it flat to have a better surface to center punch on. Alot of times if you drill with a 1/8 drill bit for the pilot hole and step it up to 1/4" and give it a quick push so it bites in. The bolt will back out with the drill. I also used SS bolts and heilicoils, Its been 3 years maybe 4 since I did mine and they show no signs of rust at all. Good luck... take your time and think it through you'll be fine...Bill
Thanks Bill, you must have the smallest right angle drill in the world. Having trouble finding the right tool to make it happen. Thanks again for your advice.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:57 AM
Mopar Lover

Did you remove the inner fenders?? Can you jack the motor? Ive done so many of these and never removed a cylinder head. Keep me posted...Bill
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM

Did you remove the inner fenders?? Can you jack the motor? Ive done so many of these and never removed a cylinder head. Keep me posted...Bill
I found a right angle drill that will fit and cut the drill bit down so i could drill the studs. All three have pilot holes through them and one came out with an easy out. I am glad the ones that were broke were in the back. This is taking longer than I had anticipated and the 90 plus degrees isn't helping my patience. I do appreciate all your advice, and yes the inner fenders are out.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:52 AM
Mopar Lover

Yes heat can make it harder on you no doubt..If your doing this in your driveway on jackstands I can surely feel your pain... I was doing it on a lift in my air conditioned home shop( one of the best things I ever built )I would be lost without it. And it is not my daily driver so I could walk away when mad. At the dealership it wasnt that easy to walk away I just sucked it up and plowed through. It also helps to have alot of tools to make the job alot easier... Sorry your having such a bear of a time with it...Hang in there you'll get it..Bill
Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 PM

My project is finished, although I was reluctant to do this because I thought I wouldn't have the right equipment. Thanks for your encouragement Bill! ). It is possible to do without taking the heads off but some specialty tools for the average Joe will be required. I got lucky that the only bolts were in the rear of the head, I don't know of any drill that could get to certain studs. I am pleased with the Gibson headers and the fit and finish of the kit. If you didn't have broken studs I could see this done in a few hours. Overall , I am glad I did it myself, saved a ton of green, and learned a lot. I decided to leave the stock muffler and am adding a cold air intake. ( basically a less restrictive filter). Just looking for better fuel mileage. Thx again Bill!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Mopar Lover

Brian, your welcome... when the time comes to replace the exhaust, ...I went with Banks they offer a lifetime warranty and the sound is strong sounding. It also woke the truck up and increased the fuel mileage by a couple of miles per gallon. As you know these trucks suck for fuel economy but they all do...Bill