Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Anybody has experience with this distributor?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/74....1115/10002/-1

The main reason I am considering replacing my old distributor is so that I can easily change the mechanical advance curve. The second issue is that I cannot find a vacuum advance canister. All the other distributors out there are very expensive, this seems very affordable.

Also, if I do stick with my old distributor ... Where can I find stiffer springs? Second ... How do I take it apart? This last one may sound odd, but I have never disassembled a distributor before, and I do not recall the shop manual describing that. If I have replacement springs, then it would be worth looking into disassembling it.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2016, 06:52 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
"Stiffer" springs? Most of us want LESS spring. The shop manual most certainly details distributor service, it's in section 8

I don't know much about the chineseeoated import distributors. There are some sold by a guy "Skip White" that seem to have a fair reputation...at least with small blocks

Any OEM distributor made after about 71 will need recurved for performance, and especially with a bit of big cam. If you have a single point or breakerless (NOT a dual point) the outfit "FBO" sells a simple recurve "plate" (limiter plate) that some guys have used.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:33 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DDodger
"Stiffer" springs? Most of us want LESS spring. The shop manual most certainly details distributor service, it's in section 8

I don't know much about the chineseeoated import distributors. There are some sold by a guy "Skip White" that seem to have a fair reputation...at least with small blocks

Any OEM distributor made after about 71 will need recurved for performance, and especially with a bit of big cam. If you have a single point or breakerless (NOT a dual point) the outfit "FBO" sells a simple recurve "plate" (limiter plate) that some guys have used.
Well, yes, stiffer spring means less centrifugal advance, right? Yes, I need less total mechanical advance. I have a 68, my guess is that the distributor is pre 72 because they moved to electronic ignition in 72. I think I probably do need a re-curve, my idle is pretty bad. I will call FBO, thanks for your suggestion.