68 Polara steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
68 Polara steering pump

I'll keep it short as I guess there is a simple answer to this one. My old steering pump was leaking bad so ordered a new one, looks good, exactly the same (Cardone) but it came without the pulley, so I tried to remove the old pulley, heard it was just a press on type, but the thing didnt move, and is now damaged, due to clamping to hard in the vice!!! darn!!! Question is where to find a new pulley and how do you get the thing off?
There is a hex nut on the end of the shaft, does this need to be loosened or removed before pulling?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 AM
Mopar Fan

I assume you have a Saginaw power steering pump. They use a lock nut after the pulley is pressed on the shaft. You need to loosen the nut and rent or buy a pulley puller. To install line it up with the notch and it usually slides on to the point that the nut can thread, tighten down the lock nut and your good to go. Jason

Originally Posted by Polara-Lee
I'll keep it short as I guess there is a simple answer to this one. My old steering pump was leaking bad so ordered a new one, looks good, exactly the same (Cardone) but it came without the pulley, so I tried to remove the old pulley, heard it was just a press on type, but the thing didnt move, and is now damaged, due to clamping to hard in the vice!!! darn!!! Question is where to find a new pulley and how do you get the thing off?
There is a hex nut on the end of the shaft, does this need to be loosened or removed before pulling?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 AM

OK thanks, seems like the same type of pump, a hex lock nut in the middle. Unfortunately thats how the pulley got damaged trying to loosed the hex nut, it just wouldnt budge, so now will have to buy a new pulley and then hope it fits onto the new pump I assume I will need a new lock nut too?
Problem is cant seem to find any suitable pulleys new, plenty for GM and Ford but no Dodge/Plymouth, will have to keep an eye out for a second hand pulley I guess

update.... its actually the Federal style pump with round body, re-made by Cardone, not sure if this makes a difference?

Last edited by Polara-Lee; 10-08-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Try Bouchellon Performance for your pully.
The following users liked this post:
Polara-Lee (10-09-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 02:34 AM

OK.. still having problems with this steering pump, seems the new pump, although pretty much identical in every way has a shaft size of 5/8" the original has 3/4". So after finding a new pulley I find it doesnt fit, and now cannot find a similar size pulley with a press on 5/8 shaft, only a 5/8 key way shaft as seems common on chevy's. So now it seems I will have to reuse the old leaky steering unit, maybe find some new seals and repair it sometime. But and heres the my problem, I cant replace the pulley back on to the old pump as it has the hex nut in the way and can not be removed. I need the thread inside the shaft to fit the new pulley, how is this removed, or can it be removed?
What I thought would be a one hour job, is now into week 3!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You know, Polara, I have a few used P/S pumps, but noticed you are way over in Sweden. Could prob sell you one if you pay the shipping. Can you PM me your E mail and send me some pics if interested? Then I can see if I have the right one. I have 2 types. Or check the salvage yards if theres any over there with that old of a car. Ok C Ya. Gary
Old 10-21-2012, 05:39 AM

HI Gary, yes it looks like I may need a used pump and pulley, seems the best way to fix the problem. It seems the mistake I made was ordering a new Cardone (Federal) pump, when in fact its a TRW pump, probably why the shaft size is different.

See attachments for differences.
I need the TRW type pump if you have one, (or the Federal type would work too if it has pulley with it)
Attached Thumbnails 68 Polara steering pump-pumps222.jpg   68 Polara steering pump-federal_power_steering_brackets.gif  

Last edited by Polara-Lee; 10-21-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
there are 3 pumps , TRW , Federal both round body & the Saganaw oval filler neck , nothing swaps between the 3 types so you have to be sure you have the right pump
Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Yep, after a lot of trial and error I've realised there are 3 types, before I thought there was only two! Problem is I have bought a re-con federal style pump by Cardone, on the outside its almost the same, inside is very different I realise. The mountings are the same so both will fit on the same brackets. But what I dont understand is why the shaft on the Federal and TRW are different sizes, I thought they had the same pulley. Whats the size on the saginaw? Is it a press-on or keyway shaft?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Saginaw is press on , you need a special puller to remove & install the pulley on those . Mancini may have the pulley you need for your pump .
The following users liked this post:
Polara-Lee (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have 2 pumps off a 400 and a 440. They both look a little different. Will these pumps maybe fit on a 383? Or does it have to be the exact same pump that Lee has taken off his Polara?