JET-POWER BY PASS in Carburator??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JET-POWER BY PASS in Carburator??

I wonder if it's JET POWER BY PASS in the carburetor determines how much fuel the car to get?

The carburetor I'm talking about is a Stromberg WW.

Grateful for all answers
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Here's a shot out of my 67 manual. All these types of carbs, including some Rochester and Carters which use a "power piston" work about the same

You have the power jet in the bottom of the carb which is the device with the plunger and spring. This is CLOSED during idle, light cruise, or when coasting at speed with the throttle shut. That is, anytime that manifold vacuum is high enough to overcome the spring pressure, in the photo, labeled "power piston stem" the vacuum holds the stem UP and away from the power jet.

This causes the power jet to close, so that fuel ONLY flows through the main jets, and at low speeds, partially through the idle and transfer circuit

As you push down the throttle more, and the intake vacuum drops, the piston stem spring starts to push DOWN and open the power jet. The power jet is essentially in parallel with the main jets, and ADDS whatever it is flowing to the flow from the main jets

It is important to understand that if the top gasket is old or damaged, vacuum may not be "getting to" the piston in the top cover of the carb. This will cause the stem to always be in the down, or "POWER" position, and the engine will run too rich all of the time, except when under a lot of throttle.
Attached Thumbnails JET-POWER BY PASS in Carburator??-wwc.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Mopar Fan

Okay. But what should I do to get more fuel? Mine car gets to little and it just shoots like a machine gun when I do a kick-down and goes bad when I acc little (I hace replace the acc-pump with a new)?

Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
Here's a shot out of my 67 manual. All these types of carbs, including some Rochester and Carters which use a "power piston" work about the same

You have the power jet in the bottom of the carb which is the device with the plunger and spring. This is CLOSED during idle, light cruise, or when coasting at speed with the throttle shut. That is, anytime that manifold vacuum is high enough to overcome the spring pressure, in the photo, labeled "power piston stem" the vacuum holds the stem UP and away from the power jet.

This causes the power jet to close, so that fuel ONLY flows through the main jets, and at low speeds, partially through the idle and transfer circuit

As you push down the throttle more, and the intake vacuum drops, the piston stem spring starts to push DOWN and open the power jet. The power jet is essentially in parallel with the main jets, and ADDS whatever it is flowing to the flow from the main jets

It is important to understand that if the top gasket is old or damaged, vacuum may not be "getting to" the piston in the top cover of the carb. This will cause the stem to always be in the down, or "POWER" position, and the engine will run too rich all of the time, except when under a lot of throttle.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Well, that's difficult to say, it could be other things as well, or a combination of things.

Did that carb ever run right since you've had the car?

You should be able to get some idea of how well the accelerator pump works simply by shutting down the engine, get a flashlight if necessary, and look down the throats. You should get a squirt out of the pump nozzles immediately when you move the throttle.

However if this is more of a problem at any decent speed, it's probably not a pump problem. For comparison, a guy I once new (age of my Dad) used to disconnect the pump on trips to save a little mileage.

Is the carb good and clean? Have you inspected the power valve, and does the piston move freely?

But let's get more specific with symptoms

Does it accelerate OK from a stop? Does throttle setting change this action?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Mopar Fan

The car has never run right since I got the car. The older owner said he had set it to the would drink less fuel, but not how. My thinking was to replace the carb with an Holly 2 barrel carb, but thay are so expensive in Sweden.

Well, that's difficult to say, it could be other things as well, or a combination of things.

You should be able to get some idea of how well the accelerator pump works simply by shutting down the engine, get a flashlight if necessary, and look down the throats. You should get a squirt out of the pump nozzles immediately when you move the throttle.

However if this is more of a problem at any decent speed, it's probably not a pump problem. For comparison, a guy I once new (age of my Dad) used to disconnect the pump on trips to save a little mileage.

Is the carb good and clean? Have you inspected the power valve, and does the piston move freely?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Mopar Fan

If I were to stand still and put in drive and press the pedal to the bottom, I'd bet on the car dies. if I turn off the engine and look down the carburetor and someone presses the gas pedal, it will inject fuel in it (looks about like it does from a spray can). The problem is more that I can not throttle up, the car shoots like a machine gun. The hacking up to speed. I replaced all spark plugs and put the ignition a bit, then he went a little better. But when I was in the Swedish vehicle inspection and checked the exhaust, so it was very low. They thought that it did not get enough fuel.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by a.johansson84
If I were to stand still and put in drive and press the pedal to the bottom, I'd bet on the car dies. if I turn off the engine and look down the carburetor and someone presses the gas pedal, it will inject fuel in it (looks about like it does from a spray can). The problem is more that I can not throttle up, the car shoots like a machine gun. The hacking up to speed. I replaced all spark plugs and put the ignition a bit, then he went a little better. But when I was in the Swedish vehicle inspection and checked the exhaust, so it was very low. They thought that it did not get enough fuel.
Attached Thumbnails JET-POWER BY PASS in Carburator??-stromberg-ww.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Mopar Fan

If you se the pic, where should I check firts and clean och so??
Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Mopar Lover

Hard to say. One thing you might do is wander over here:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

and wander around in there. There is some carb info, as well as complete shop manuals that you can download. You don't need the EXACT year