Stainless Steel Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stainless Steel Headers

OK, in the course of my rebuildng Old Red's 318 engine I had a look at my exhaust manifolds. Both are extremely rusty and clearly didn't seal well so I'm considering replacing them with headers. One problem here is the truck will eventually be going back to my home in Vermont for me to use when I'm on vacation there. Anyone from the snow belt knows that the salt used on the winter roads will eat a set of headers in a very short space of time, therefore if I decide to do this I will go with stainless steel. The problem with that is finding them for a truck this old (1989 Dodge W-150 4x4). The only experience I have with headers comes from years ago when friends and I were building a street-stock race car. I have zero experience with them in 4x4 trucks so here are my questions:
1. Are headers worth the expense and,
2. If they are, where do I find quality stainless headers?
3. If they are not worth it, are there any suggestions about where to get decent replacement exhaust manifolds?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Mopar Fan

Ceramic even better, I live in south sask, and the weather here is snow, now snow salt ice and rain, I found my ceramic lasted alot longer than even stainless. Look on summit they have lots for half decent price, and yes its worth the troubles. Get headers you wont regret it
Old 03-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
A cheaper option is to take your manifolds to a machine shop that can shot peen them. Then they can machine the machined surface back flat. Then you buy some POR 15 exhaust manifold paint and give them two good coats and bake them in you oven.

Last edited by bremereric; 03-15-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Mopar Fan

@bre
Very good idea, id money is a issue go with bre's comment forsure
Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
I use run Stans on my 4x4. Call him and ask same question. Pricey!! But his work his impeccable. They are the heaviest header I have ever seen. They see snow and salt. No issues.

They are not only worth it but needed once HP starts to crest 300 hp or they are restrictive.

The best flowing EM is the 340 and the Magnum. One side from each application flows better than the other. So the perfect set up would be the best from each side. Dont ask me which one off hand. I can find out though. But tracking down the one good 340 EM wont be easy..

You can get OE magnums for short money. 15 bucks at pick a part. Sand blast, high heat paint, done... New they arent that expensive, www.rockauto.com has em at 75 bucks a side with gasket. They measure 2 inches at the mouth and flow good.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Mopar Fan

OK, so for now to save some money I have reinstalled the stock manifolds. I will run these while I save up to buy headers. Ideally I'd like to get stainless headers that are ceramic coated as well but I don't know if anyone makes them for less than $1000.
When I finally switch over to the headers I will be replacing the entire exhaust system. What is the deal with H-pipes after the headers? Are they really needed and do they help enogh to warrant the extra cost? What about the headers themselves? Aside from being made from stainless is there anything else I need to be watching for? I'm not clear about the emission laws for my home state so I don't know if I'll need caty converters as well but I will be looking that up.
This is my research peiod now while I save up. Hit me with any ideas you guys have, I can use all the help I can get!
Thanks again!
Tim
Old 04-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Mopar Fan

Go look at shumacher headers, I got mine through shumacher, Love them pricey but I didnt pay much more than 1000 dollars shipped to my door