Need help with TF727 pump leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with TF727 pump leak

Hello, and thank you for checking out my problem first of all.

I just rebuilt my TF 727 Non lock up tranny and when I re-installed it my parking paw was misaligned holding it in park. I started it up, added a second gallon of fluid and it wouldn't move. After about 15 seconds of letting it sit in drive to move the fluid around fluid ran out of the bellhousing. I shut it off, figured out that the parking paw was stuck, pulled the tranny and fixed it. I reinstalled the tranny thinking the fluid leak wasn't that big of a deal, fluid probably just pushed past a seal and the seal would reseat itself, but I was wrong. Now the tranny works fine, but it still leaks.

Do you all think I might be lucky enough for it to be the torque converter seal in the center, or is it the paper gasket and pump seal? I'm wondering if I'm going to have to pull my pump.

Thanks again for the replies.
Randy
Old 03-11-2012, 04:31 PM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
To locate I just jack it up, spray it all with degreaser, wipe clean, compressed air to dry, start and watch from below for the weep trail. Hope its something small to make life easier. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Have you checked to make sure it is not over full ? With the work required to change the converter pump seal ! Just change the pump gasket and O ring while it is apart for good measure

Parking paw would not MAKE IT LEAK !!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
I hope you poured some trans fluid into the torque convertor and then started it in neutral. You can burn up you pump if you don't. On the front pump seal I always rub some tranny fliud on the seal to keep it from burning up on first start up.

Last edited by bremereric; 03-11-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 PM

I did all of these things. I can't tell where the leak is coming from except that it's inside the bellhousing. The torque converter covers everything up. I used 10 quarts but i also have a cooler so that should be about right. When I first put it in there it did not leak, it only started leaking when I let it sit in drive waiting for it to go, and it wasn't a little constant leak, it was a sudden burst of a leak that started after about 15 seconds. I know the parking paw would not make it leak, but if the parking paw was misaligned holding the tailshaft from spinning and I was in drive then the pump would pump up pressure until something gave way. Which I think is what happened. Either way, I ordered a pump seal, pump gasket, and converter seal today. It's just one more day laying on my back and popping a couple ibuprofen the next day!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RandyYJ
I did all of these things. I can't tell where the leak is coming from except that it's inside the bellhousing. The torque converter covers everything up. I used 10 quarts but i also have a cooler so that should be about right. When I first put it in there it did not leak, it only started leaking when I let it sit in drive waiting for it to go, and it wasn't a little constant leak, it was a sudden burst of a leak that started after about 15 seconds. I know the parking paw would not make it leak, but if the parking paw was misaligned holding the tailshaft from spinning and I was in drive then the pump would pump up pressure until something gave way. Which I think is what happened. Either way, I ordered a pump seal, pump gasket, and converter seal today. It's just one more day laying on my back and popping a couple ibuprofen the next day!
That it is.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
If you have 10 quarts of fluid in it ? It is over full should be 16.5-17 pints 7-8 quarts for a dry trans. Cooler will only take maybe an extra 1/2 qt
Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by TVLynn
If you have 10 quarts of fluid in it ? It is over full should be 16.5-17 pints 7-8 quarts for a dry trans. Cooler will only take maybe an extra 1/2 qt

It is overfull, way overfull. I dropped it and replaced the paper gasket, pump seal and converter seal. Put all the ATF back in it and it still leaks. For some reason I thought it took 9.5 quarts for just the tranny, so I added a quart inside the converter and another couple for the cooler. I thought a little overfull wouldn't matter. I believe I'm wrong.

I know that I probably sound like an idiot right now but here goes......

I checked the fluid with it in neutral and warm. The fluid is 4-5 inches higher on the dipstick than the full mark. Would this cause it to blow out the vent in the top of the pump? I believe this to be what's happening.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

That will make it leak.